Bald spots?

want2know

Songster
5 Years
Dec 25, 2018
Hill Country Texas
I have a flock of 11 hens and a Rooster. They will be a year old the end of next month. 4 of them have developed bald spots on their backs at the base of their tails. The buff orpington's feather deformity seems different and this has been developing for a while.
Is this pecking, mites, or maybe rough Roo treament. It doesn't look like moulting. This is my third flock, but have not yet seen this, never had mites, so unsure. There does seem to be a trend here, though. The hens effected are at the lower end of the pecking order, especially the barred rock with the largest spot that most recently developed almost overnight. They're nesting routine seems to have changed, since it started too. I have 7 nests,but rather than using 2 or 3 of them, they are all laying in the same nest. Could it be possible that impatient hens are pecking at the layer?

Attachments

• 20240229_113720.jpg
    20240229_113720.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240229_113737.jpg
    20240229_113737.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • Autralorp.jpg
    Autralorp.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • Cleo.jpg
    Cleo.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • marma 2.jpg
    marma 2.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 4
  • marmalade 1.jpg
    marmalade 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
That is caused from the rooster. I suggest getting saddles (aka hen aprons) for your girls to protect their backs.

Is this pecking, mites, or maybe rough Roo treament.
I agree it appears to be from mounting.. but with the statement it doesn't indicate he's rough (per say).. just that they're receiving too much of his affections to maintain a nice feather quality. They may be his favorites and therefor getting more of the attention, also possibly related in part to being at the bottom of the pecking order.. but also their may be some genetic variation.. as in buff feathers *may be* softer than barred or black ones and fray easier.

Inpatient hens at the lay box usually inflict head damage.. the pattern seen is inconsistent with that scenario while rooster wear fits.

To rule out possible parasites as an additional consideration.. getting a peak at skin condition below the vent and on the abdomen.. it's easiest seen in MY experience (and also avoids any chasing) after dark using a flashlight (or headlamp) and with feathers parted all the way to the skin.. look for anything running away from the light (or movement). Also any dried mud clump looking things attached near the feather bases can be considered "nits" or egg sacks. The skin should be basically light pinkish and smooth.. without scabbing and not angry red.

I agree it appears to be from mounting.. but with the statement it doesn't indicate he's rough (per say).. just that they're receiving too much of his affections to maintain a nice feather quality. They may be his favorites and therefor getting more of the attention, also possibly related in part to being at the bottom of the pecking order.. but also their may be some genetic variation.. as in buff feathers *may be* softer than barred or black ones and fray easier.

Inpatient hens at the lay box usually inflict head damage.. the pattern seen is inconsistent with that scenario while rooster wear fits.

To rule out possible parasites as an additional consideration.. getting a peak at skin condition below the vent and on the abdomen.. it's easiest seen in MY experience (and also avoids any chasing) after dark using a flashlight (or headlamp) and with feathers parted all the way to the skin.. look for anything running away from the light (or movement). Also any dried mud clump looking things attached near the feather bases can be considered "nits" or egg sacks. The skin should be basically light pinkish and smooth.. without scabbing and not angry red.
Thank you for a very thorough, helpful answer!!

Back
Top Bottom