Ball O’ Chicks

Farmgirl805

Songster
Jun 29, 2022
Ventura, CA
I have 7 chicks, they are 5 wks old today. (6 pullets and 1 cockerel I think). Around 4:30-5:00 pm every day they start chirping FRANTICALLY. We’ve figured out that they want to go to bed. They are still in the brooder till next weekend as we have a few things to finish up in the larger coop outside. Anyway. They act panicked like they’re a bunch of kids afraid of the dark. But sundown isn’t for a few hours.
Right before they finally get settled, they start to pig pile next to the brooder plate. It’s too warm for them all to sleep UNDER it, besides they’re all too big now, but they clamor next to it. We only plug it in for a few hours at night, just to settle them down as a comfort measure. But my concern is two-fold.
What’s going on with the 5pm screech-a-thon and why are they suddenly doing this chicken ball thing, climbing all over each other before they settle down like sweet little babies?

Normal behavior. They just need full crops and some warmth to snuggle into sweet dreams. Then they wake up early and start running around doing a bunch of nothing to repeat the 5pm chirping. Normal behavior.
I'm in Florida and its HOT! And my 3 four week olds are nestled under Mama by 5:30- 6pm with their heads peeking out. Getting ready to start their day at 0600 when the door opens. Mama leads them out first thing. It's too cute!

Totally normal behavior mine do the same thing but have been off heat for 2 weeks they didnt seem to like it. They are 34 days old and going outside tomorrow.They have fits 3 or 4 times a day lol. Healthy snacks help. I alway give them bugs before bed.

Back
Top Bottom