1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

balloon like egg--yuck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farnumchicks, Sep 11, 2008.

1. farnumchicks

farnumchicks New Egg

Aug 18, 2008
    One of our Barred Rocks just started laying, but the eggs are like balloons. No shell, just the membrane. What do we do? The other BR hasn't started, but our other 3 (leghorn and 2 Reds) are laying beautiful, perfect eggs.

2. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I would say to be you sure they are getting layer feed and free-choice oyster shell grit.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:Scramble them up and feed back to the hens.

4. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    We have had two soft shells...just give your pullets layer food and offer them some oyster shell and they will be fine.

5. Zanadi

Zanadi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Salem Oregon
    I was just going to suggest oyster shells. I've read somewhere that people take the shells of other eggs, roast them in the oven, smash them up into little pieces and feed as well.

6. pimpdaddywrinkles

pimpdaddywrinkles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2008
    I had a few soft eggs when I first got my girls but not that soft. they firmed up fast and I just dry the shells and give them back to the girls crushed.

I got the advice to give back the shells from a friend who has had chickens his whole life.

I think you need to make double sure that you have layer mash.

A-

7. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    Sometimes it just happens as part of cycle, even with extra Calcium

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, it's sometime happens, but extra oyster shell is good. Feeding back only egg shells isn't enough as one shell in isn't one shell out so to say.

9. davidmcc

davidmcc New Egg

Sep 12, 2008
    Finger Lakes Region
  10. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Its not a pretty egg for sure, but I agree... if you get a fluke like this, scramble it up and feed it back to the chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by