Unbreakable Eggs

SourRoses

Free Ranging
13 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Florida
Last night when making dinner, I tried to use an egg that wouldn't break. The shell broke, but the membrane underneath just flexed and bounced back. I kept trying, but chips of shell were coming off leaving behind a bouncy ball of membrane. To get into it would have required a knife or a smashing, and since I didn't want broken yolks I just gave up and tossed it.

About the egg: It was just laid yesterday. The hen may or may not have been low on calcium, as we only just got in a new bag.

Backstory: We've had this problem with a different hen in the past. We actually rehomed that hen because the problem was so persistent.
During that time period nobody enjoyed the coral calcium rocks from TSC so intake is uncertain. I have no idea if the issue is in any way related to calcium or not, but I thought someone might ask.
However, none of the other hens back then presented with unbreakable eggs. This time it's the same, our other eggs crack just fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any idea what the cause might be?

With our silkie chickens, that's pretty much the way their eggs are. My hubby has been trying different methods of breaking them, such as hitting them on the side of the frying pan, or stove, etc. Some work better than others. I don't know that there's a cause necessarily or if it's the breed of chicken as over the course of nearly 8 years, we've switched feed 3 times, set out oyster shells, plus they free range, and it's always the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom