Balut production

Quote:
I love kim chee and krout and first thing in the morning salt fish but I eat mostly herring it comes from NE NC kim chee and salt fish sounds good , I have gone back for seconds on gator bites for breakfast
smile.png
but there would have to be more then a few red stripes involved for me to sample balut
smile.png
thanks for all the help guys

There are some folks here that have a very nice business with Balut. The use pekins for their eggs. They do a few thousand eggs per week. I have no interest in eating it only because I cant get past the idea of eating beak, feet etc etc.

I dont see that there is any moral or ethical issue. I also dont see that it is an issue of waste. Why is it more wasteful than eating an egg. I understand there is some energy required to incubate, but I believe there is also more food value than in an egg. I could be wrong about that as I have not seen a nutritional analysis on Balut.

It is all cultural and I see no issues at all

I think that using white runner ducks would be the most thrifty (less feed needed per duck), but their eggs aren't always white-white.

I believe that most commercial balut producers use white ducks, such as pekins, so that there will not be black/dark feet, bills, or skin on the partially developed ducklings as that would be considered unappetizing.

As if that were all it took.
tongue.png

Oh well, "normal" is whatever you grew up eating.

Metzer's Waterfowl in CA produces a lot of balut.
http://www.metzerfarms.com/Eggs.cfm?CustID=132269&EggType=Balut

metzer farm sells a white layer duck that is great for balut prodution. its a hybrid like there golden 300 its a great layer they claim. i have kaki campbels they are good layers of white eggs also.

Back
Top Bottom