Bamboo as Fencing and Barriers and other uses- Post info and Sggtns

cwc362

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Huntingdon- West Tn
Was thinking about getting some bamboo. Thought it would be good sto start a stand to use for different things. One lady that I cut her lawn has some on the edge of her land between her and the neighbor and I swear I don't think a cat could get through it!! Was wondering if anybody ever use it as a living fence . I know there has to be a lot of uses for it . Thought I would post this and see what everybody has to say about what they have used bamboo for. Would like to hear some pros and cons any info that might be helpful. Another guy had some and it grew as tall as the trees and looked like it was the diameter of an empty vegetable can. Thought this has got to be good for building . Would just like some input please.

Rats and weasels can probably still get through. Also, if something happens, disease or whatever kills the bamboo, you're in a hard spot. Maybe bamboo with some deer netting as a second defense? LOVE the idea of a living berrier though

I would still want a second defense for those little weasels and such. But was also thinking I could plant a big stand down the line with our neighbor and sneak me a goat or a pig or two in here!! LOL Also he's even bigger than me (230 lbs) and he likes to do his yardwork with no shirt and short shorts!!

Last edited:
if you want a good barrier you will need the evasive kind and you will have runners popping up all over your yard and it gets out of control fast. most people who have it use large underground containers or barriers and it can get expensive. if you still do it they are beautiful.

Why not on top of the live bamboo, buy the bamboo fence panels from Home Depot. They are weak, but cute and form a tall shield 5 or 6'

Quote:
I wonder if the chickens can keep the new shoots controlled, I had thought about planting a couple of clumps in the chicken yard for shade. Thought the original clump would have to be protected with wire or something until it grew up some.

I use it as a barrier so you cant see my barn and stuff from my house, I have the clumping type which is what i recomend to everybody that asks about it, I think all bamboo send out runners but some are more invasive than others, I planted it in 01 and now you can't see through it and some of its probably 20+ feet tall.

I can't imagine it'd stop a raccoon for more than three seconds. They climb real good, and would presumably just go up til high enough to push their way through. Raccoons are not stupid
wink.png

Also if you use something that grows dense enough to (eventually) make a thick dense other-predator-proof fence, give it another coupla years and it'll take over your whole yard. Don't count on being able to keep it in check -- no reason to think the chickens would be able to, and it can be challenging for PEOPLE to, either.

Good luck, have fun, possibly consider something else
wink.png

Pat

maybe the clumping kind is the kind I need instead of the kind that spreads everywhere. Anybody know any names for a good variety of the clumping kind?

Back
Top Bottom