Fencing under chicken run

bear0806

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2023
So, my coop is set, my chickens are happy and protected - since they are still growing up in the coop. Next step is the run. My sister lost most of her chickens to a mink that dug under her perimeter fencing. We have plenty of foxes and some coyotes here in upstate NY. Does anyone ever literally "box" in their run? That is put a layer of fencing right into the soil a few inches down as a "floor" layer and connect that to the fence walls? That way the predators can't dig up underneath or they would just hit more fencing. Seems like a logicial solution but I don't ever hear/see anyone mention it. Too much work? Not practical? Issues I haven't thought of? We will also be covering the top with some type of wire to keep the hawks out.

Does anyone ever literally "box" in their run?
No. Many use a predator apron that is securely attached to the base of the run walls and spread out over the ground 2 ft and pinned down on the outer edges with heavy duty landscape staples. At that point you can just let the grass grow up through the apron.

I put some "chicken wire" under the foundation, maybe a foot inside and 2 feet outside. This wire is too flimsy for long term protection. I had rats tunneling under and into the run. Very smart buggers, couldn't trap them so I had to resort to a pest control company with baited traps outside the run. Pretty much solved the problem. If I were to this again, I would either use 1/2" hardware cloth OR a concrete wall, much more work and cost, sigh.

No. Many use a predator apron that is securely attached to the base of the run walls and spread out over the ground 2 ft and pinned down on the outer edges with heavy duty landscape staples. At that point you can just let the grass grow up through the apron.
I’ve done this for years. I’ve only had one incursion which was my fault!
I used snowmobile pallets covered with poultry netting. I left 1.5’ as an apron and 6” loose on top to discourage wild birds and climbers.
I use deer netting over hoops of pvc to cut out aerial assaults from owls, hawks, and whatever.

I asked the question as well. The most impactful reply NOT to put hardware cloth inside the run was that chickens dig. When they dig, they hurt their feet on the hardwire cloth and this causes all sorts of issues. I am putting mine at around 16" straight down the fence line and a 24" apron around with rock and gravel on top outside the fence. I have skunks, possums, rats, raccoons and cayotes from below. Bald Eagle nest within 200 ft, two owls and multiple hawk's from above.

So, my coop is set, my chickens are happy and protected - since they are still growing up in the coop. Next step is the run. My sister lost most of her chickens to a mink that dug under her perimeter fencing. We have plenty of foxes and some coyotes here in upstate NY. Does anyone ever literally "box" in their run? That is put a layer of fencing right into the soil a few inches down as a "floor" layer and connect that to the fence walls? That way the predators can't dig up underneath or they would just hit more fencing. Seems like a logicial solution but I don't ever hear/see anyone mention it. Too much work? Not practical? Issues I haven't thought of? We will also be covering the top with some type of wire to keep the hawks out.
I live in the south and have never put any thing on the ground or covered my babies, they have a house and their run is 6ft chain link fence attached to the coop, I keep their wings clipped. Nothing has ever come under their fence but hawks have come over the fence but usually the babies run in the coop when they think there is a hawk. Good luck 🍀

I did for my coop due to the overly abundant number of predators here in MD and piece of mind. About 5 inches down under hard packed clay, I then added a few more inches of loose garden soil on top of that. I'd have gone deeper but it was hardddd diggin. Haven't had any problems and the chickens aren't even close to making their way to the HC.

Back
Top Bottom