Bamboozled by a Hen

Not sure, it was a reddish/ brown liquid. I followed all 21 birds around yesterday and check this morning and nothing. The only thing odd was finding out my hen is transgender. 😄

True. Although I may have missed something about it, but I don’t know that they ever figured out what caused it. It could be a concern, or not
Sorry, was an odd experience 2 days in a row. I did not find blood again, but was thinking blood may happen before an egg appears for the 1st time.

Sorry, was an odd experience 2 days in a row. I did not find blood again, but was thinking blood may happen before an egg appears for the 1st time.
It could be from the pullet straining a lot before laying her first egg. This might make some blood vessels pop, resulting in a little blood. Probably not something to worry about.

Thank you, she just looks much different than her sisters; and now I'm questioning all my thoughts and knowledge.
There’s no reason to feel bad! They all develop at different rates. Just like in humans. She’s probably faster. My Wyandotte had me skeptical this fall. She looked a lot like a Roo with her super red face (at 16 weeks! She’s 26 weeks now and I’m still waiting for an egg that red face promises :gig) but she was otherwise, a clear pullet. Chickens are confusing. Your chickens are probably not bred from the same line, and as individuals, will look different from each other, especially when one is more mature than the others.

Your pullet was always a female.

Nope.
Well its true it doesn’t happen the first time, but it isn’t uncommon to see blood. When the bird is straining her muscles to lay that first egg, she might accidentally pop a blood vessel, resulting in blood spots near nest boxes and streaks on the egg. Although, now that I think of it, OP didn’t mention streaks on the egg, so it’s possible my guess is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom