Banana Skins!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Betty-Eve, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Betty-Eve

Betty-Eve Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Has anyone ever fed banana skins to their geese, ducks or chickens - I chop up potato skins, apple cores, veg peeling very finely and they all much away quite happily just wasnt sure on banana skins as to if they would do any harm! they are high in potasium and sure there was something else in the skins! Its the only food waste I have (apart from onion skins - even the pigs wont eat those)

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I give my hens kitchen scraps all the time. For some reason the girls will eat the banana but will leave the peel on the ground to rot.

3. mrcush

mrcush Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    Be careful with the potato skins, make sure there not green! [​IMG]

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I have never given my chickens banana skins! Isn't it bad for em'?
    [​IMG]

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Yeah potato skins are not good for them at all. Also don't feed raw soybeans, the amount of lysine in them is potentially deadly.

6. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I give the peel to my chickens, but they will peck at it a little, then leave it....they love the banana though.

7. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I don't think banana peels are very good for chickens but I sometimes toss them out to the chickens. They eat them I think. I've never lost one after feeding banana peels.

8. PineTopFarm

PineTopFarm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2012
    Hollister, Mo
    Banana peels are fine. Trust your chickens, they know what's good for them and what's not. I throw everything into my compost pile and the chickens take what they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by