1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bantam acting hurt? advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Angiebubs, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have a tiny lil 4 month old bantam chochin mix...small for a banty. This morning I went out and she was on the floor, while all the rest were running around. She acted like she couldn't stand. Brought her in to look her over and she was alert, and finally stood up. When I took her back out (had to leave for work) she again huddled down and wouldn't move. I dusted her with Sevin....she seems like her leg(s) are weak...she was eating though. She also felt warm (so not cold related). I have raised these from Day 1 so don't think its worms. Any other thoughts what could be going on? I placed her in a small nest box to get her away from the bigger ones..and put a little food in there. She seems content, and was eating a little.

2. Babetteschicks

Babetteschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    We had a Leghorn do that a while ago. We thought she was sick gonna die but she was eating and laying eggs. We kept her separate let her rest and stay off her legs as much as possible. She got better. I think she had hurt it, pulled it, sprained it...something like that but she's better now just needed a little r&r

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    If your chickens touch dirt or are exposed to wild birds by any means, they can and will get worms. It is a natural part of the environment. I have had mine since day 1 but will be worming them next week (darkest part of the year, least likely time for them to start laying) because my feed conversion is atrocious. It can and does happen, you treat them, no problem.

4. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I wondered about worms to. They are in an enclosed run, and have only been out there for about 2 months. If I were to worm then-should I do jsut the Wazine or do that then hit them with something harder in 2 wks? Also, 2 of the older hens, were wormed a couple wks before I got them. Will it hurt them to be wormed within 2 months of the first worming?

I hate worming unneccesarily.....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  5. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    I put DE(Diatomatious Earth) in my feed at least 3 or more times a wk in the winter and daily in the summer to keep mine wormed. I havent had any problems and there is no waiting period on eggs or chickens(meat birds). You should check it out you can even use it on other pets. I also dust my coop, chickens and dog with it for fleas, ticks, mites and lice. I want be without it. Make sure its 100% and Food Grade though. It has lots of minerals and vitamins that are really good too like calcuim. Google it check it out. I love it I wont be without it.

6. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I use DE in the bedding, next boxes, entire coop etc. And used Sevin dust on the chickens. I read in "Storeys Guide to Raising Chickens" that DE is not effective in killing internal worms as the minute it disolves (via moisture) in their bodies it no longer has the attributes needed to affect worms?

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some vets will do a fecal test for worms for a small fee.

There is indeed the chance that it is worms, since they have been on dirt. From what I have read, 18 weeks is kind of the youngest you want to worm them unless you know they have worms- due to the organs of the body developing.

If it were me, I'd take a peek at her poo very closely. Is it that horrible dark mustard foamy color of worms? Or greenish diarrhea? Or runny/watery (but not the normal caecal poos that occur every 8 or so poos)? Any blood (not including the normal shed intestinal lining)?

You might get a clue about her health this way...a lot of folks including me don't like to pay for a vet if possible. Wazine treats only older roundworms, just FYI.

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Last night I brought her in and looked her over. I am thinking she injured a leg? She seems alert, she ate whatever I fed her (pancakes, yogurt, oatmeal, and chicken food) but didn't seem thirsty. She didn't move from the lil nest I made her. I put her back out (so she wouldnt get used to the heat inside) ina protected spot and she was in the same place this morning when I went out. I put food by her and she dove right in eating.
    Ahmelia's dropping appeared normal-only found one this morning. I'm not sure what to do other than let her rest it and keep my eye on her. I checked her over and didn't see any signs of mites or lice either. The only other thing I noticed is veryy occassionally she would suddenly stretch and shake her neck (more like food got stuck?). but this didn't seem to happen more than two or three times in 45 mins of watching her.

I should mention-every night she is on the very top of a ladder I have out there....while all the others are on a roost about 3-4 ft off the ground. The roost is about 6 inches wide by 10 ft long. Every night I go and put her on the roost....she seems nervous like she thought she would fall off. I also noticed her toes on her one foot seemed crooked-hadn't noticed this before). The next morning I found her on the ground. So I am wondering if she feel off the roost or caught it somehow? Only thing that would make sense with her symptoms?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Here is a nice site:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Hmm...you might want to check the undersides of her foot for that black spot that occurs in bumblefoot. I'd not have the girls roosting too high off the ground (so they can jump down easily is a good height) with large breeds anyway as it predisposes them to bumblefoot. But you have a bantam. I used to let my bantams roost about 5 feet off the ground with no troubles. But my Buff Orpingtons were just way to heavy for that height and I lowered the roost to the 2 1/2- 3 foot mark or so.

If you are worried about a foot injury you might just leave her in the nest even though it is warm in there. If she isn't feeling well it might help her to stay warm- especially if she isn't moving around much. Sorry I don't have any other advice right now.

I hope she gets better soon!

10. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Thank you!!! Last night I was able to get her to eat (She doesnt seem to want to drink but got her to take some water). When checking her foot out, it seemed like it hurt-not like it was paralized (MAreks). This morning though she wasn't interested in eating :-(. I put food near her and had to leave for work. Saying prayer shes better whenI get home this evening.

We converted a barn for mini horses-2 stalls...so the divider between the stalls is where they seem to roost-probably 4 ft off the ground. I have made sure there are plenty of "stepping stones" up for them to get up there. Also have a ladder in there, that this little banty seemed to want to roost ont he very top. It would be difficult to lower everything-so have tried to make smaller roosts to help them get up and down?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by