bantam and standard question

thekid

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
Ford City, Pennsylvania
Will a bantam roo breed with standard hens? And if so how many hens could he keep fertile? Thankyou - Brian

**** sorry if this is a stupid question
sad.png

Last edited:
They can...although it is a lot more difficult for them....usually the hen will lay down on the ground for them.... (so depends to on if the hen wants to cooperate)
lau.gif

as far as how many...not sure on those numbers....I have had one handle 6 B4.....but I don't know what their max is.

mine did! now we put some of the eggs under a broody hen and none were fertile but she was also a full size cochin and quite fluffy so I'm sure that didn't help, but boy did he try!

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I know they can do at least 6.....since they are smaller you don't want to push them to much...I am sure 10 would be ok.....

A banty roo can mate standard hens, but your fertility will be hit and miss. Sometimes he'll get the job done (hit), sometimes he won't (miss).

i have a roo that is the product of a bantam Faverolles roo over a LF Cuckoo Marans hen! so it is possible to have it happen! i think my hens prefer a smaller roo instead of the 'big bully' roo that could hurt them!

you can have many outcomes with the size of the grown chicks from this type of crossing. you could have small bantams, normal sized bantams, in-between size of bantam and LF, standard sized LF, and nearly giant LF! i also had a cochin (bantam) x EE (LF) that when he was 7 months old was at 10 lbs!

i would suggest about 6 large hens for a bantam roo. it also depends on how 'busy' your roo may be with everyone in the flock. sometimes a roo favors one or two hens over a large group. you could always do artificial insemination if you want to be sure that the eggs from the crossing are going to be fertile.

and, btw, the only 'dumb' question is the one not asked! this is a place of learning so go ahead and ask those questions!!!!

Definately not a stupid question. I ordered a mix of standard and bantum chicks and I was wondering the exact same thing. lol
I'm glad you asked

Back
Top Bottom