Bantam Barnevelder? Help us figure out!

She is eating and drinking now.. we will watch her closely to see how she does. We feed them chick feed.. we switched off purina chick starter because of all the things we’ve been seeing and hearing. She’s the only baby that’s having issues like this, we truly believe it might be something from birth possibly. Thank you everyone for your wonderful input and as we are so grateful for the advice. We truly appreciate it.

Scratch and Peck is a brand.
When I look at their website, they offer several different kinds of food, including one labeled as chick food.

https://www.scratchandpeck.com/shop/naturally-free-starter/

The chick starter description says it includes "cracked whole grains" along with other ingredients. The nutrition information says it has 20% protein. The photos show it as having many small pieces and no really big ones.

So if the OP has the same food I was just looking at, it is probably acceptable.

I don't think it matters whether the grains are "raw," just whether they are ground finely enough for the chicks to eat and digest-- ground by a mill, or small enough for chicks to swallow and then ground further by grit in the chicks' gizzards.

Is that a photo of Scratch & Peck chick food specifically, or is that just a generic example of whole grain food?
I just grabbed a picture from Texas Naturals to show a corn-free scratch. The brand the OP is using looks kind of like powder with some grain.

Last edited:
She is eating and drinking now.. we will watch her closely to see how she does. We feed them chick feed.. we switched off purina chick starter because of all the things we’ve been seeing and hearing. She’s the only baby that’s having issues like this, we truly believe it might be something from birth possibly. Thank you everyone for your wonderful input and as we are so grateful for the advice. We truly appreciate it.
Good 'cluck' with your Barnevelder! We're happy to help.

The worst thing that happened with feed was about 15 years ago when companies removed animal protein from their feeds and went vegetarian. I used the Tucker Milling for all the subsequent years because, until almost 2 years ago, my 22% layer still had animal protein, had to switch varieties within the same brand to keep the porcine protein. Almost all feeds went vegetarian and that has caused numerous issues, not just what TSC sells. They do have one decent feed by Dumor that still contains animal protein, an all-flock type, though I never buy from there, never did, because of their reputation for mold in their feeds. I have/had a completely different opinion on the recent feed drama from over 18 years experience raising hatchery, breeder quality, heritage breeds, many different breeds, from large fowl to tiny bantam breed, etc, literally hundreds of birds through laying age and up to over 14 years old. That alone got me hate mail on my YouTube channel. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, just mentioned it because you brought it up in regard to your little girl here.
I hope she rallies for you, but if it's something internal, some genetic issue, something like that, you did what you could and that's all we can do, try our best. Let us know what happens with her, will you? Good luck with her!

Back
Top Bottom