Bantam barred ameraucanas or Easter Eggers

You could order bantam Dominiques and bantam EEs from Cackle.
smile.png

Quote:
That isn't an Ameraucana. It's exactly the same cross as the one I posted above, a BR/Ameraucana cross. You can't get a true barred Ameraucana, though you can call it a barred EE.

looks like a ameraucana
i had 2

If it's a cross, it isn't an Ameraucana.
wink.png
I know Dipsy-she has Barred Rocks and BBS Ameraucanas and crosses them, but even she wouldn't call them true barred Ameraucanas, being a cross. Also, Ameraucanas have only 8 standard colors. Barred is not one of them. Folks are currently trying to get Lavenders accepted and working on them, but still, they really don't qualify as Ameraucanas yet, just a new color variety work in progress.

Now, I love my barred EEs. They had a blue Ameraucana mother from great breeder stock and a Barred Rock sire. I still will not call them Ameraucanas and neither can anyone else because they don't fit the standard or breed true.

If you cross a brown egg layer and a blue egg layer, 99% of the time, you'll get a green egg layer, yes. Now, if the progeny comes out with a single comb, there is a higher chance it will lay a brown egg, but most of that cross does seem to come out with a pea comb or a modified pea comb. My Panda, who is Riley's half sister (same Ameraucana mom, different BR sires), lays a light olive green egg. Panda is barred, with white legs, but has no beard. Riley lays a lovely bluish green egg, has yellow legs and a nice beard.

I think you'll be quite pleased with the cross. In fact, it's my favorite cross.

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I didn't know that about combs. I'm getting excited about this it'll be fun. Especially because its gonna be with my daughter. Now I've just gotta ask DH if I can order eggs or chicks... Cross your fingers for me. He's already told me no on hatching eggs for myself till spring... But he might change his mind for isabella
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom