Bantam Brahma or Bantam Cochin?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
Here's my question, once we finally have our chicks DH agreed to two bantams. We're planning on a white silkie and buff brahma bantam. Since silkies have issues with not being able to see, is the BBB going to be gentle enough with her? Most people love their Brahmas but I was reading on another post about cochins and wondered if one of those would be a better match temperament wise. I'm not sure I could talk DH into another breed so I'm basically just checking the the brahma would be okay. I would hate for the silkie to get picked on by the other bantam - I figure they will probably be on the bottom of the pecking order anyway with the other LF we're planning on.
barnie.gif

Anytime that I have had silkies and cochins raised together, they have gotten along just fine, but I think the key part is "raised together". If you raise your large fowl with the bantams, as well, then there shouldnt be too many problems. I would not recommend a very large rooster with bantam hens, especially a silkie. There is nothing quite as cute, though, as a bantam rooster with his flock of "big girls". LOL.

Chel

I have all three including standard and bantam cochins. They all get along fine. They tend to split off into their own little groups. All of them sleep in the same coop. The cochins and brahma roost the silkies sleep in an area on the floor.

From my experience id go with brahmas, my cochins can be quite mean sometimes. My light brahma gets along with any chicken she is sooo laid back. When i introduce new chickens to the flock she is the first one to run around with them sharing treats ect. My cuckooo cochin hen is a bully and puts any newbies thru the ringer.

Thanks everyone! I will stick with the bantam brahma after all. I really like how they look so I would have been sad to lose that one.

Back
Top Bottom