Bantam breed with frequently layed, easy to peel eggs?

jasonbennett1

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
North Central Florida
This may sound strange! I keep bantams just for the ability to make small, "popper", sized deviled eggs. I have Japanese bantams (whose eggs peel much easier than my other standard breeds), but don't lay very often. I am looking for advice on a bantam sized bird that frequently lays small, easily peeled eggs.
any thoughts?

Southernbelle

Gone Broody
12 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Virginia
I keep bantams and I love making those bite-size deviled eggs! To make them easy to peel, I boil the bantam eggs for 10 minutes with 1/3 CUP of salt in the water, then take them out of the boiling water and put them in an ice bath right away. Peel when they're cold and they peel like a dream.

The extra salt will not make the eggs taste salty - it's the only method I know of that consistantly makes the eggs easy to peel, even if they're fresh from the nest box.

Cindy in PA

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 8, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I have Silver penciled rocks and they are laying 8-9 eggs a day out of 11 right now, which I think is pretty good. During the winter I got 4-6. I would think RIR, Wyandotte, Orpington or Rock bantams would lay pretty good. I guess it depends on if they are show birds or bred for production. Mine are hatchery birds, they lay well and look pretty good too.

rwm_2004

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 9, 2010
Texas
My 2 barred old english hens both lay everyday for about a month then go broody I bust them up and a weeks later they start all over again. My 2 crele old english bantams I get maybe 2-3 eggs a week and they haven't went broody yet. I suggest barred old english bantams.

Top Bottom