Bantam? Breed?

Well when I looked them up it said otherwise...how common is common? lol If I got it wrong then I guess u can't trust the internet. But from what I found out there are less than 1000 breeding pairs in the U.S. That's got to be pretty rare, I would think.
Almost all hatcheries breed them. Almost all TSC bantam bins have them.

They look a little bit like Black Cochin Bantams to me. They generally have a good docile temperment as far as I know. There are a few differences between bantams and regular chickens, one of which is that since they're smaller and lighter they can generally fly far. I once saw one fly like 20 or 30 feet, maybe more. One just recently flew over my head. This plus their smaller size can make them expert escape artists. Also, they're more prone to getting eaten by predators, regardless of their escaping ability, because they're smaller and more things can and do get them, and seem to die more in general regardless, their small size seems to make them more fragile. You should make your best effort to contain them, and I wouldn't recommend free ranging them.
I've raised cochin bantams for several years now and all cochins have feathered feet. Also I've never had any issue free ranging any of my bantams Japs, Cochins, or OEGB.

DSCN1467.JPG

DSCN1409.JPG

For those of y'all wanting updated pictures, here they are! (Accompanied by my handsome rooster :)) Pretty confident they are Australorp Bantams, but if you disagree I would love to hear it!

Back
Top Bottom