Bantam batch breeds

BabsChickieNewB

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2024
First time having baby chicks, I got 3 random furry feet bantams hoping they were silkies but they all have 4 toes so clearly not lol. Wondering what breeds they are and maybe genders? Obviously nothing is certain til they’re grown but the guessing and watching is part of the fun. I *think* I’ve got a Mille fleur d’uccle pullet (chick 1), black Cochin cockerel (chick 2), and buff Cochin cockerel (chick 3). Any guesses? Bought at tsc from a bantam straight run-all have furry feet and they’re 5 days old now.
IMG_1737.jpeg
IMG_1738.jpeg
IMG_1744.jpeg
IMG_1752.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1767.jpeg
IMG_1769.jpeg
IMG_1774.jpeg
IMG_1782.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg

First time having baby chicks, I got 3 random furry feet bantams hoping they were silkies but they all have 4 toes so clearly not lol. Wondering what breeds they are and maybe genders? Obviously nothing is certain til they’re grown but the guessing and watching is part of the fun. I *think* I’ve got a Mille fleur d’uccle pullet (chick 1), black Cochin cockerel (chick 2), and buff Cochin cockerel (chick 3). Any guesses? Bought at tsc from a bantam straight run-all have furry feet and they’re 5 days old now. View attachment 3762100View attachment 3762101View attachment 3762102View attachment 3762103View attachment 3762104View attachment 3762105View attachment 3762106View attachment 3762107View attachment 3762108View attachment 3762109
For breeds I'm thinking 1. Mille Fleur, 2. Black Frizzle Cochin, 3. Buff Cochin Bantam! But as for genders its probably too early to tell but in a few weeks it will be more easy! :)

The first does indeed look like a Mille Fleur D'Uccles. Second looks like a frizzled black cochin, and the third bird also looks to be frizzled and buff on colouration, although its beak colour is throwing me off a bit. Cochin is a safe guess, however. Sexing is nearly impossible at this age with the breeds you have, wing sexing doesn't work, so it's still a matter of waiting. Update in 5 to 7 weeks!

A lottery, yes, but I love the guessing game.

1 and 3 I think are boys, primarily because of the white "cap" at the top of the wing. 3 is very pale and has no head markings at all, so that's another giveaway.

Does where the comb start show gender for Cochins? I read on one post if the comb starts above the nostril, it’s a boy but if it starts behind, it’s a girl. My black frizzle is getting a comb pretty fast and has cockerel attitude so I’m thinking boy for that one at least

Does where the comb start show gender for Cochins? I read on one post if the comb starts above the nostril, it’s a boy but if it starts behind, it’s a girl. My black frizzle is getting a comb pretty fast and has cockerel attitude so I’m thinking boy for that one at least
You can tell gender by how fast the comb grows. Males combs and wattles grow larger and redder faster than females do.

I've never heard of that before, but I don't think that would be accurate.
The way to tell is by what @SilverBirds said.

Back
Top Bottom