Bantam brown Leghorns

Chick N Momma

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Valatie, NY
Is there something specific that shows the difference between a brown Leghorn and a bantam brown Leghorn?

I purchased, at $15 each, 2 chickens that I THOUGHT were welsummers. That is how they were advertised. I was specifically looking for DARK BROWN egg layers to add to my flock. Imagine my surprise when they started laying WHITE eggs! After asking around, it was determined that they weren't welsummers, but were brown Leghorns (white ear - I learned the hard way). The woman barely said sorry and never offered to take them back for a refund. If she had been more local to me I would have said I was going to her house to return them. SO, I decided what the heck, I don't have anyone laying white eggs, so I guess it wasn't too bad. So, they started laying (they are supposed to have been born earlier this year so that made sense. The eggs are small white eggs. I figured these were "newbie" eggs. I don't recall my WHITE Leghorns consistently laying the same size white eggs. Its been about a month now and the eggs are all the same size and shape (and white). I'm thinking I have bantams. Anyone have any idea? The birds don't look large, but since they were young I figured they were probably not fully grown. They are beautiful birds, but not cost effective to me as I can't sell their eggs as they are too small.

Thanks.

Bantam brown leghorns are fairly rare. It would be pretty unlikely that someone would have them and not know that's what they are. Not meaning you but the person you got them from.
If you've had white leghorns a standard brown would be the same size. They are grown or pretty much full size if they're laying.
A bantam leghorn is about half the size of standard size.
If needed I can take a pic of a standard and bantam together just for size reference for you.

Question -- if it looks like a brown leghorn or even similar to a welsummer, and it lays a white egg, what else could it be mixed with that would keep the white earlobes and white egg color? I mean, wouldn't most mixes override those attributes?

(I'm seriously asking as a question, because I honestly don't know. Just thinking out loud)

Question -- if it looks like a brown leghorn or even similar to a welsummer, and it lays a white egg, what else could it be mixed with that would keep the white earlobes and white egg color? I mean, wouldn't most mixes override those attributes?

(I'm seriously asking as a question, because I honestly don't know. Just thinking out loud)

I raise a few leghorns and have hatched leghorn crosses from our layer flock.
You're correct. There isn't many crosses which would maintain a true white egg. I have hatched with white or mostly white earlobes but not super often. Another thing about the same as earlobes is maintaining the yellow legs.
Also most crosses with a brown leghorn would end up with the duckwing pattern. Lots of things is dominate to the wild type.

Bantam brown leghorns are fairly rare. It would be pretty unlikely that someone would have them and not know that's what they are. Not meaning you but the person you got them from.
If you've had white leghorns a standard brown would be the same size. They are grown or pretty much full size if they're laying.
A bantam leghorn is about half the size of standard size.
If needed I can take a pic of a standard and bantam together just for size reference for you.

One would think that the person I bought them from would know, but she sold them to me as welsummers to start with, so I'm not sure WHAT she knows.

One would think that the person I bought them from would know, but she sold them to me as welsummers to start with, so I'm not sure WHAT she knows.
Its been my experience that they aren't that common. Not the kind of breed that pops up at auctions, swaps, etc.
They would be something you'd have to search out.
With that I would think anyone selling them would know what they was. I would think whoever she got them from would of known at least and told her.
I would pay more for them then any standard brown leghorn or welsummer and I would sell them for more.
Doesn't seem like a breed that would be sold as a way more common breed.
If any of that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom