Bantam chicken egg production?

Update: All 3 breeds of my bantams are laying pretty regularly now and this is what the egg sizes looks like so far. I added a standard sized chicken egg in the one picture to give a better idea of the bantam egg sizes.
From left to right: Buff Brahma, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red. I think it's pretty evident that the Buff Brahma egg is surprisingly a good bit larger than the other two. The Barred rock eggs consistently come in second but they are only slightly bigger than the Rhode Island Red eggs. But if chicken size has anything to do with it, I expect that as the hens age a little, the Barred Rock eggs will get noticeably bigger as the Rhode Island Red bantam hens are smaller than the Barred Rock bantam hens.

So far though out of these three breeds it's looking like the Buff Brahma bantam is the way to go when it comes to egg size. I really was a little shocked to see the difference in their eggs sizes compared to the other two breeds. As most chicken farmers know eggs from new laying hens tend to get a little bigger after a few months of them laying, so it will be interesting to see what the average final size of these eggs will be. I'll update when I find out.

Attachments

• IMG_3393.jpg
    IMG_3393.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 13
Update: All 3 breeds of my bantams are laying pretty regularly now and this is what the egg sizes looks like so far. I added a standard sized chicken egg in the one picture to give a better idea of the bantam egg sizes.
From left to right: Buff Brahma, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red. I think it's pretty evident that the Buff Brahma egg is surprisingly a good bit larger than the other two. The Barred rock eggs consistently come in second but they are only slightly bigger than the Rhode Island Red eggs. But if chicken size has anything to do with it, I expect that as the hens age a little, the Barred Rock eggs will get noticeably bigger as the Rhode Island Red bantam hens are smaller than the Barred Rock bantam hens.

So far though out of these three breeds it's looking like the Buff Brahma bantam is the way to go when it comes to egg size. I really was a little shocked to see the difference in their eggs sizes compared to the other two breeds. As most chicken farmers know eggs from new laying hens tend to get a little bigger after a few months of them laying, so it will be interesting to see what the average final size of these eggs will be. I'll update when I find out.
Thank you for this information. May I ask if you have an estimate of how many eggs your bantams are laying a week? And does the Buff Brahma bantam chicken itself seem much bigger than your other bantams? I was already interested in Brahma bantams and this is making me think I may get some sooner than originally planned. Thank you.

Thank you for this information. May I ask if you have an estimate of how many eggs your bantams are laying a week? And does the Buff Brahma bantam chicken itself seem much bigger than your other bantams? I was already interested in Brahma bantams and this is making me think I may get some sooner than originally planned. Thank you.
I have 19 hens all together and I'm getting between 6-8 eggs per day. I wouldn't put too much stock into that though because I really expect those numbers to climb, they haven't been laying for very long and so I don't think that the averages right now would be very indicative of what it will be in say another month or two.
As for the sizes, the Brahma's are bigger than the other two breeds but not as much as you might think. The Plymouth rocks are little smaller than the Brahmas and the Rhode Island Reds are the smallest of the three breeds. As soon as I can I'll get some pictures up for you so that you can get a better idea.

Here are a few pictures, I hope this helps you in your decision making.

Attachments

• IMG_3453.jpg
    IMG_3453.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3458.jpg
    IMG_3458.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 11
Awesome, so far out of the 3 breeds they are my favorite. I had some Easter Eggers before and I really enjoyed them as well. I plan on adding some more of those to my flock this coming spring.
How has the brahma been doing with winter? Are you still getting egg production? I just need *one* to give me breakfast through winter 😆 (has to be bantam though!)

How has the brahma been doing with winter? Are you still getting egg production? I just need *one* to give me breakfast through winter 😆 (has to be bantam though!)
Brahma's have being doing great, but honestly, all 3 breeds are doing well. Egg production from the entire flock (19 hens) is now averaging 10 eggs per day, sometimes I get 9 and sometimes I get 11.

Brahma's have being doing great, but honestly, all 3 breeds are doing well. Egg production from the entire flock (19 hens) is now averaging 10 eggs per day, sometimes I get 9 and sometimes I get 11.
Can i ask where you're relatively located (very cold, daylight hours)? Last year i relocated from where my chickens had been house chickens, and they continued laying through the winter even after the move. But this year, eggs stopped mid Nov. Im in Central TX, but i guess its still not enough daylight. But if a bantam brahma will lay regardless, i might need one!!

Can i ask where you're relatively located (very cold, daylight hours)? Last year i relocated from where my chickens had been house chickens, and they continued laying through the winter even after the move. But this year, eggs stopped mid Nov. Im in Central TX, but i guess its still not enough daylight. But if a bantam brahma will lay regardless, i might need one!!
I live in southeastern Ohio. It hasn't been consistently cold here yet but we've had some mid 20 degree nights. Probably getting about 10-11 hours of daylight per day.

Back
Top Bottom