Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

My new Pekin hen, haven't got a name for her yet and Cora, my truly little Pekin girl. She's still tiny, she's perfectly healthy otherwise so I think she's just a bit of a runt. Packs a mighty personality in such a tiny body though and bosses the bigger babies around.

Attachments

• 20200307_211553.jpg
    20200307_211553.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200221_081311.jpg
    20200221_081311.jpg
    650.8 KB · Views: 7
Looks like Old English Game Bantam. I'm not familiar with the color though. There are so many colors in that breed.
I had a very low quality Japanese bantam that looked almost identical. She came from a large hatchery as well
Brown Red OEGB. :love Some of the feed stores in my area get them, too.
Black Breasted Red OEGB would be my guess. She's a pretty little thing!
Thank you all! I hope she’s an OEGB, but the mulberry skin was throwing me off🙃

But can anyone tell me where in the world this orange is coming from ???

698F2166-757A-4B55-BD85-66B235E22108.jpeg

I'm assuming you have a Porcelain d'Uccle rooster and the BBReds, Brassy Backs, and Barreds were the hens? If that's correct, then your orange chicks are from the Porcelain d'Uccle and BBReds. Porcelain in d'Uccles is Mille Fleur with the addition of the Lavender gene. Lavender is recessive, and so is the mottling gene that causes the speckling on the d'Uccle, so you're left with an orange, almost Columbia-like pattern. :)

Black Breasted Red OEGB would be my guess. She's a pretty little thing!

BBR OEGB hens have the same pattern as Welsummer hens; salmon breasted with yellow hackles and brownish backs. The name BBR comes from the males in that variety, who are black breasted with red features. ;)

My new Pekin hen, haven't got a name for her yet and Cora, my truly little Pekin girl. She's still tiny, she's perfectly healthy otherwise so I think she's just a bit of a runt. Packs a mighty personality in such a tiny body though and bosses the bigger babies around.
And this is Susie Q my Japanese Bantam and adopted mother to Miss Piggy the silkie who's only a couple of weeks younger than her.

Adorable birds! :love

Thank you all! I hope she’s an OEGB, but the mulberry skin was throwing me off🙃

I've noticed that that happens a lot in the birchen-based OEGB varieties like Brown Red and Lemon Blue. Here are some Brown Red OEGBs I took pictures of at shows, for example. They're always so forward and curious when I go by their pens. :love

OEGB, brown red female curious.jpg OEGB, brown red female caught off guard.jpg OEGB, Brown Red hen face.jpg OEGB, Brown Red hen.jpg

I'm assuming you have a Porcelain d'Uccle rooster and the BBReds, Brassy Backs, and Barreds were the hens? If that's correct, then your orange chicks are from the Porcelain d'Uccle and BBReds. Porcelain in d'Uccles is Mille Fleur with the addition of the Lavender gene. Lavender is recessive, and so is the mottling gene that causes the speckling on the d'Uccle, so you're left with an orange, almost Columbia-like pattern. :)

BBR OEGB hens have the same pattern as Welsummer hens; salmon breasted with yellow hackles and brownish backs. The name BBR comes from the males in that variety, who are black breasted with red features. ;)

Adorable birds! :love

I've noticed that that happens a lot in the birchen-based OEGB varieties like Brown Red and Lemon Blue. Here are some Brown Red OEGBs I took pictures of at shows, for example. They're always so forward and curious when I go by their pens. :love

View attachment 2044718View attachment 2044719View attachment 2044720View attachment 2044721
Ok thank you!

Back
Top Bottom