Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Pics
Wow! All so beautiful! Tell us about the ribbons and trophy! Details please!
Well the SQ hen Betty got 3rd place in junior division at a bantam show
And also got BV, BB, and best in class
She is a very sweet hen and is going through a very tough molt and isn’t laying a single egg and a handful of feathers fall out when I stroke her.
She is a purebred Mille fleur D'Uccle hen I got from a breeder

I'm thinking about getting some standard girls in 2020 so I have a coop of bantams and a coop of standards....and more eggs to share with the neighbors! I originally made two coops because I was trying to keep a rooster coop and keep all my cockerels. That experiment failed(!) since I'm in the city and the boys are soooo loud! Anyhow, I'm curious...what is stressful about standard chickens? I'll stick to bantams if it's easier!
I don't like the aggressive behaviour in standard chickens towards each other. I had a few that were attacked bloody and it happened quickly. The Bantams all get along real well and just go about their day. I love everything about Bantam chickens.:frow

I have already taken way too many pics of my Bantams. But here are a few. I'm looking for homes for eight cockerels if anyone is interested! I'll post those next with a Craigslist ad. I have Mille Fleur D'Uccles, Black-breasted Red Dutch, Silver Sebrights, Golden-laced Cochins, Blue Rosecombs, and Blue Dutch. Totally in love with them all! They love all sorts of treats and they love to watch Squirrel TV. They will be 4 months old in a few days and I've had them since they were 2 days old. Always a dream to have Bantams!! I'm keeping the two cockerels in these pics...the D'Uccle is an amazing rooster so far and the Dutch is my buddy--very very tame because he tried to die the first three weeks of his life and we got close!
View attachment 1943120 View attachment 1943121 View attachment 1943122 View attachment 1943123 View attachment 1943124 View attachment 1943125
So adorable...:frow

Breeding my Silkies.

Black Cockerel is midsized, white pullets are 1 standard, & 2 bantam silkies.
1024191154.jpg
1024191155.jpg

Bantam silkies are smaller then they appear in the picture, my camera is dumb like that.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo , I hate to break it to you, but....you're even closer to a gold mine for bantam lovers. :lau Have you ever considered Eagle Nest Poultry, located in Osceola? Like I said, they offer the most adorably huggable Blue Red OEGBs imaginable. :love Pictured are my girls, Teeny, Tiny, Snickerdoodle (Splash Blue Red), and Itsy Bitsy, solely to tug at your heartstrings. ;)
DSCN5302.JPG DSCN4894.JPG DSCN4540.JPG DSCN1213.JPG
Sounds as though you have most aspects perfectly planned out! :D I completely understand with regards to selling....especially in the midst of current disease outbreaks. :hmm Therefore, breeding for personal reasons is certainly a safer option. :) And who doesn't LOVE colorful, friendly birds? The obvious answer here is OEGBs. ;)

Sadly, a barn may be necessary down the road.....not judging you at all, I'm in the same boat. :lol: There's simply no such thing as too many bantams!

Awesome pictures..
Thank you so much! :D

@Arbutus Peregrine , your birds are simply stunning. :love Especially the Rosecombs! I wish I had room for more, because I'd snatch up those tiny men in a heartbeat. I LOVE roosters.....possibly more than most hens. (please don't tell on me :oops: :lol:)

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom