Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Pics
Y’all... time changed and now daylight comes earlier. I am happy about that. :D :wee
D44AEBC7-EACE-42B3-AD24-AFB513EA6E5B.jpeg
A218DE4D-9FAC-4BB3-A188-D059EE9EC414.jpeg
6FC7CE19-8CD0-4350-BA92-FE6EB3A43E8C.jpeg
AF49A410-B698-426D-85D1-9A509CAF90A7.jpeg
A6B0347C-DD01-4350-9B27-C05BFE419E29.jpeg

Whoa just went to my first chicken show and took my boys to their new amazing home all in one day! A very chicken-themed day!! Do you all do the shows? Very fun! So many beautiful birds! My first time seeing Bantam eggs! Soooo tiny!

Me!! I don't show my birds, but I go to some shows just to drool at all the pretty birds there! :D This post has a ton of pictures from the last one I went to: Post #647 of 875.

Some gorgeous birds in your pictures! :love Are those Brown Red OEGBs in the second picture? And Creles, lovely as usual. :love What is the fella in that first picture?

Thanks so much!! I took my boys to their new home today and checked out their roost bars. I think mine will be fine for now. I can replace with 2x4s when they are older. Maybe senior bantams would like wider perches! And about crowing... wow... it seems like everyone talks about their standard cockerels crowing at 5 or 6 months. My bantams began at 10 weeks! Then at 3 months they suddenly got really really loud! So sleeping without them in the house will be a treat tonight!!

Haha, yes, it seems like bantams crow a lot sooner than large fowl, at least in my experience. My youngest LF crower was about 2 months old if I remember right? (EDIT: Wait, one of my LF Dorking dudes, Tygo, crowed at 3 days old, too... But other than him, about 2 months is the youngest for my LF guys.) Youngest bantam crower was 2 or 3 days old. Yep, days! :D Actually, he's a bantam, so I guess I can share this here--a video of him crowing a few days later, when I finally caught him in the act. Silkied Red Cochin bantam chick crowing at 6 days old. I don't remember if this is Rufus or Russell, but it's definitely one of those two. :p

My bantam Cochins tend to be my earliest crowers at a few days old, but they also stop after about a week and don't pick up again until they're around 2 months old. The little OEGBs started at 3 weeks and just kept going, which made it fun to have them in the brooder in my bedroom! :lol: The OEGB pullets were also doing submissive squats for my hand at around 3 weeks, so I guess they just hit maturity super fast. :eek:

When I see a bird like Selah I just think, “Delicious!” Just so cute! Squeezable! And I call my Sebrights “vultures” (in a good way) and the duccle boys are “cowboys”. The duccle girls are “bunnies”. I think the Cochins are teletubbies.... everyone thinks my Splashes are doves! The Dutch so far are Dutchies!

Haha, love it!! :lol: Nothing wrong with vultures! :D

Y’all... time changed and now daylight comes earlier. I am happy about that. :D :wee
d44aebc7-eace-42b3-ad24-afb513ea6e5b-jpeg.1950534
a218de4d-9fac-4bb3-a188-d059ee9ec414-jpeg.1950535
6fc7ce19-8cd0-4350-ba92-fe6eb3a43e8c-jpeg.1950536
af49a410-b698-426d-85d1-9a509caf90a7-jpeg.1950537
a6b0347c-dd01-4350-9b27-c05bfe419e29-jpeg.1950538

Beautiful flock. :love Love those teeny-tinies mixed in there, and those handsome Cochin fellas! :D

Yes..I'm happy about that too. Although we lose an hour of daylight in the evening..

Yeah, it was nice to sleep in this morning (well, not really sleeping in; I got up at about the same time as usual, I just didn't have to snooze my alarm to get there :p ), but I think I prefer the other arrangement. At least it doesn't get dark at 4:30 that way. :idunno

Holy smokes I've been up so long and not tired yet. I want to put the kids out in the pen this morning after they eat breakfast. I might need toothpicks to keep my eyes open by then..:gig...:barnie..:th

Aw, I hope you get some rest today! :hugs What kind of kids are we talking about here, like more chicks? :pop

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom