Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

My eggs are on day 18 of incubation and all of them are looking good. Hopefully I’ll have lots of little Dutch Bantam chicks by Wednesday!
What do you do with the unwanted boys? That's one thing that slows me down from wanting more Bantams... finding homes for Bantam boys is a lot harder than handing over LF cockerels for someone to eat. Oh the tragedy of boys!!:he

Where did you get your Dutch eggs? The Dutch bantams seem to be rather elusive. I have some from Strombergs but after talking to different people about it...they are more than likely Dutch/OEGB crosses. I love their personalities so I'm deciding whether I want to designate my second chicken coop/run to Bantams or LF. Those Dutches and the D'Uccles make me think maybe I don't need LF!!

I got my Dutch Bantam eggs from my own breeding pen. It’s very hard to find good quality Dutch. Sadly, there just aren’t enough people out there who are breeding them. You can get lovely pet bantams from a hatchery, but they won’t be true Dutch.

What do you do with the unwanted boys? That's one thing that slows me down from wanting more Bantams... finding homes for Bantam boys is a lot harder than handing over LF cockerels for someone to eat. Oh the tragedy of boys!!:he
Well I have them killed or give away free..

Where did you get your Dutch eggs? The Dutch bantams seem to be rather elusive. I have some from Strombergs but after talking to different people about it...they are more than likely Dutch/OEGB crosses. I love their personalities so I'm deciding whether I want to designate my second chicken coop/run to Bantams or LF. Those Dutches and the D'Uccles make me think maybe I don't need LF!!
If you want to be sure you are buying Dutch, ask pictures of the hens and rooster. Compare it with the specs (white earlobes, short and slate colour leggs, big tail, etc. )

I have Dutch in the Netherlands and had no Marek with my bantams. I do not buy new chicks/chickens but let the hens hatch eggs.

The boys are given away for free.

If you want to be sure you are buying Dutch, ask pictures of the hens and rooster. Compare it with the specs (white earlobes, short and slate colour leggs, big tail, etc. )

I have Dutch in the Netherlands and had no Marek with my bantams. I do not buy new chicks/chickens but let the hens hatch eggs.

The boys are given away for free.
Can you post some pics of your birds? I'm really in love with the Dutch bantams.

Back
Top Bottom