Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

@pipdzipdnreadytogo Beautiful birds :love

Due to hurting my shoulder muscle, considering converting to a bantam breed. It's between Seramas or Japanese Bantams. Would prefer the Quail Antwerps Belgian but having to order a minimum plus shipping won't be cost effective for me.

Not having to purchase 50# bags of feed & converting my 3 x 8 x 2 brooder to their coop, have a mobile run (5 x 8) for them to use during good weather, or just spend time in the patio. My Chicken House 8 x 12 x 7 is occupied by 4 Whitings are this time but maintenance is hard with my shoulder, and it doesn't seem to be getting better.

Thank you! :) I love them.

So sorry about your injury! :hmm Bantams are definitely fun and, depending on the breed, pretty low-maintenance compared to their large fowl counterparts. I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, though my personal preference between the two would be Seramas, just because they're so colorful, and super tiny. :love Japanese are pretty, but more standardized by color, so they'd be fairly uniform in appearance unless you went for an assortment of varieties. Also, if I understand correctly, they carry a lethal gene (creeper, I think is what it's called, which gives them their super short legs) so if you did any breeding you'd have to be aware of that and how it functions. Of course, all of that's pretty irrelevant if you're just looking for eggs and entertainment. :)

I almost commented on both of those breeds not being very cold-hardy, and then I noticed your location. :lol: I'm guessing that's not as much of a concern there. :p

bbab5aae-99ec-4c05-819e-719becf1144f-jpeg.1973297
4397b77a-392e-4b38-8648-cabfc11f2d19-jpeg.1973298
a70db933-ebfa-4f54-9bba-f80e227d7b75-jpeg.1973299
c394f569-5bfd-4ffb-a048-f3fb0d35c2fe-jpeg.1973300
cf8334e5-be04-4c92-8195-674c3e6c0fd2-jpeg.1973301
90a51f23-00e4-4e1c-b0c0-77465ef9e93e-jpeg.1973302
02b973e9-7222-426e-895e-0242803971c9-jpeg.1973303
793e901f-5cb6-4d5e-9cd1-b41f572e0a35-jpeg.1973304
My Birds yesterday ..Noodles too..:hugs

:love :love :love Beautiful birds!

Some of my bantams yesterday! :D Mostly OEGBs because they're so small and I'm head over heels for them. :love One of my large fowl Black Copper Marans hens even posed nicely next to Vega, one of the OEGB pullets, so I could show just how tiny they are :p

Nadine and Vega big and smol.jpg

Vega really stole the show yesterday... She's just so cute! :love She was being extra cuddly. :D

Vega on my lap.jpg Vega seriously cuddling.jpg Vega keeping warm.jpg

Achernar, meanwhile, hit me with with the over-the-shoulder pose :lol: Isn't he handsome?

Achernar handsome.jpg

And lastly, a couple pics of my 'ugly' Silkies. :oops: This is Winter (the rooster) and Marka:

Winter.jpg Marka.jpg

This one just made me laugh. The wind caught one of Winter's sickles and it was waving around like crazy:

Winter tail wave.jpg

Some of my bantams yesterday! :D Mostly OEGBs because they're so small and I'm head over heels for them. :love One of my large fowl Black Copper Marans hens even posed nicely next to Vega, one of the OEGB pullets, so I could show just how tiny they are :p

View attachment 1975059

Vega really stole the show yesterday... She's just so cute! :love She was being extra cuddly. :D

View attachment 1975061 View attachment 1975063 View attachment 1975060

Achernar, meanwhile, hit me with with the over-the-shoulder pose :lol: Isn't he handsome?

View attachment 1975057

And lastly, a couple pics of my 'ugly' Silkies. :oops: This is Winter (the rooster) and Marka:

View attachment 1975066 View attachment 1975058

This one just made me laugh. The wind caught one of Winter's sickles and it was waving around like crazy:

View attachment 1975065
Very nice Birds...:clap

Looks like I have a TON to catch up on! I've only been able to peek at the site here and there while standing in lines, etc.! How sad! Hope everyone is doing great :)

I have BIG BIG NEWS!
Actually, it's rather tiny...

My 22 weeks and 3 days old babies laid their first eggs today!!!!
My hunch is that they are both Blue Rosecomb eggs, as two of my three Rosecombs have been sporting VERY red combs lately!!

One of the girls--Ruth--looked exhausted this afternoon, too! She was hanging out mostly by the ramp to the coop and her little eyes would betray her and shut. I think she must have worked so hard!!!

I think the other one who worked extra hard today was my top snuggler, Dora! She is always cuddly and wanting hugs, but maybe also because of getting ready for the work!

I know it won't be news for any of you... but I was so excited, I thought I'd share. My cat Malcolm was also VERY proud! I had to give lots of extra treats and tell the entire flock how proud I was. One of the eggs was actually in the nest box, too! Way to go! Hole in one!

I didn't think we would see eggs until Spring. Here are the eggs--one in the nest box and one in a corner of the coop. (Also in the nest box is a large fake brown egg!)

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpg
    IMG_6426.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6425.jpg
    IMG_6425.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 5
Looks like I have a TON to catch up on! I've only been able to peek at the site here and there while standing in lines, etc.! How sad! Hope everyone is doing great :)

I have BIG BIG NEWS!
Actually, it's rather tiny...

My 22 weeks and 3 days old babies laid their first eggs today!!!!
My hunch is that they are both Blue Rosecomb eggs, as two of my three Rosecombs have been sporting VERY red combs lately!!

One of the girls--Ruth--looked exhausted this afternoon, too! She was hanging out mostly by the ramp to the coop and her little eyes would betray her and shut. I think she must have worked so hard!!!

I think the other one who worked extra hard today was my top snuggler, Dora! She is always cuddly and wanting hugs, but maybe also because of getting ready for the work!

I know it won't be news for any of you... but I was so excited, I thought I'd share. My cat Malcolm was also VERY proud! I had to give lots of extra treats and tell the entire flock how proud I was. One of the eggs was actually in the nest box, too! Way to go! Hole in one!

I didn't think we would see eggs until Spring. Here are the eggs--one in the nest box and one in a corner of the coop. (Also in the nest box is a large fake brown egg!)
:hugs....Awwww!
So exciting...:woot

Here is Malcolm admiring the eggs. I'm holding them with a store-bought egg.

Then I put them in the carton with my store-bought eggs!

Last photos are my #1 suspects, Ruth & Dora. Dora is the one facing the camera and Ruth is the one who looks ready for a nap!
IMG_6440.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg
IMG_6444.jpg
IMG_6428.jpg
IMG_6430.jpg

Back
Top Bottom