Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Always great to get the first eggs. Congrats. :celebrate

If you store the eggs it’s better not to rinse with water. Using a paper towel to get the dirt of is good.

Never use dirty eggs to hatch.

How come the are dirty? I would try to let the hens lay in a clean nestbox.
Thank you! The nestboxes are clean and what it looked like to me--I am new at this!--it looked perhaps like just a bit of smeared blood. Like perhaps a first egg caused some trauma coming out? It wasn't poop on the egg and it wasn't dirt. Just a bit of blood is my best guess!

View attachment 1982430 Let me introduce my flock. I have taken a picture of most of my flock today when they where free ranging.

Left: Cookie a Millefleur / naine de Tournaisis with too much brown feathers for a standard type.
Front: Pino, mostly Dutch lavender (a bit too heavy and bold for a real Dutch).
Janice, a golden mixture (pullet from april) in the middle.
Ini, our golden Dutch in front of a black Dutch hen (cant see if it is Black or Pearl)
And Tammie a red lavender Dutch on the right.

One black Dutch and another Tournaisis (Tel) are missing in the picture.

You can see the coop (wood snd windows) en the run (Dark grey frame) behind the chickens.

The Dutch are 4 and 5 years of age now and don't lay any eggs as soon as the days are shorter then 12 hours.
The Tournaisis are 1,5 years old now.
Love the pic! Love the birds. Now I have to google "Tournaisis!"

Photo #1: Olandsk Dwarf (Greenfire Farms)
olandsk-dwarf-0361.jpg

Photo #2: Austrian Bantam (Steinhendl/Steinpiperl) www.alamy.com
TAR9H6.jpg

Photo#3: Tournaisis Bantam
Tournaisis_bariole_m.jpg

Tounaisis
I don‘t know if you can buy Naine de Tournaisis in the States. Tournaisis are not a common breed. Some years ago they where almost extinct. Breeders had to cross them with Old English game because there where too few.

It even seems to be difficult to buy quality breed Dutch bantams in the States. I read that hatcheries only sell Imperfect Dutch /mixtures with no pure white earlobes and short blue legs.

Anyhow there are not many breeders of Dutch here on BYC. And I haven’t met anyone on BYC who has Naine de Tournaisis.

I don‘t know if you can buy Naine de Tournaisis in the States. Tournaisis are not a common breed. Some years ago they where almost extinct. Breeders had to cross them with Old English game because there where too few.

It even seems to be difficult to buy quality breed Dutch bantams in the States. I read that hatcheries only sell Imperfect Dutch /mixtures with no pure white earlobes and short blue legs.

Anyhow there are not many breeders of Dutch here on BYC. And I haven’t met anyone on BYC who has Naine de Tournaisis.
You're right. I love my "hatchery Dutch." Too bad importing is so challenged.

Photo #1: Olandsk Dwarf (Greenfire Farms)View attachment 1982572
Something different
Photo #2: Austrian Bantam (Steinhendl/Steinpiperl) www.alamy.com
View attachment 1982577
Looks a lot like they should. Size? Hens should be something like 700 grams.
Photo#3: Tournaisis Bantam
View attachment 1982575
I made an article or a review on Tounaisis. With pictures.

image.jpg

This was my red lavender Dutch cockerel/rooster (up) . I still have this hen:

540.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom