Bantam chickens.. a friendly discussion about all pure and mixed breeds.

Well I've taken the leap... I have Mille Fleur eggs on the way.
YAAAAAAYYYY!! I love my minis ... and Mille Fleurs are SOOOO pretty! :celebrate
I have mostly Nankin bantams, but just took a leap, myself. I ordered six bantam EE chicks - only four survived shipping safely and I'm still watching two of hem for head-shaking and wobbles when they walk. After my last experience with shipped chicks, three years ago, I SWORE I'd never buy them online again. I should have stuck to my proverbial guns. Out of six new babies, I had two ... count 'em TWO healthy chicks. Two more may also survive ... hopefully withOUT neurological damage.
Now, if both of the healthy babies turn out to be cockerels ... I QUIT! :barnie

I have mostly Nankin bantams, but just took a leap, myself. I ordered six bantam EE chicks - only four survived shipping safely and I'm still watching two of hem for head-shaking and wobbles when they walk. After my last experience with shipped chicks, three years ago, I SWORE I'd never buy them online again. I should have stuck to my proverbial guns. Out of six new babies, I had two ... count 'em TWO healthy chicks. Two more may also survive ... hopefully withOUT neurological damage.
Do you have pictures??

I'm sorry about the losses! I've always been worried they would all arrive dead so I haven't ever ordered chicks before. I'm on the waiting list for some Egyptian Fayoumi chicks though. Any tips for receiving them?

The Mille Fleurs really are pretty! I was going through the bantams and they kept catching my eye. I'm hoping to breed for Nn bantams.

Do you have pictures??
They're still tiny - we just got them in, yesterday, so the only pics I really have are of the sick ones. We just finished dosing & feeding the others, so they're totally a mess and crashed. I'll see if I can get some good pics tonight, when they're feeling better.
I have some older pics of my Nannies ... we're due to update those, too!:

One of the "healthier" new EE bantams - a touch of bloody nares, hopefully just from shipping stress. She's better, today, but not yet clear.
0722201953a.jpg

Baby Evie - Our first surviving Nankin chick at her BYC debut. That's a standard-sized, regular marble in front of her. She was TINY!!
EvieBYCDebut.jpg

Evie as a Mom, with her first chick, Avatar. She hatched four, but crushed three of them before we realized she wasn't really "into" being a mother. She now happily sets, but as soon as the babies hatch, we pull them. When she's done, she fusses at the door, telling us it's time to let her out. She goes straight back to the coop and is laying again within the week, as if nothing ever happened. She's a mess ... in a very good, funny way!.
EvieMom3c.jpg

Avatar, all crowed, I mean "growed" up! It's right before his first big molt, so he's looking a bit rough, but he's a very handsome young man, these days!

EDIT to fix multiple typos ... Happy Fingers strike again!

Attachments

• Day4d.jpg
    Day4d.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
They're still tiny - we just got them in, yesterday, so the only pics I really have are of the sick ones. We just finished dosing & feeding the others, so they're totally a mess and crashed. I'l see if I can get some good pics tonight, when they're feeling better.

One of the "healthier" new EE bantams - a touch of bloody nares, hopefully just from shipping stress. She's better, today, but not yet clear.
View attachment 2258942

Baby Evie - Our first surviving Nankin chick at her BYC debut. That's a standard-sized, regular marble in front of her. She was TINY!!
View attachment 2258944

Evei as a Mom, with her fist chick, Avatar. She hatched four, but crushed three of them before we realized she wasn't really "into" being a Mom. She now happily sets, but as soon as the babies hatch, we pull them. When she's done, she fusses at the door, telling us it's time to let her out. She goes straight back to the coop and is laying again within the week, as if nothing ever happened. She's a mess ... in a very good, funny way!.
View attachment 2258948

Avatar, all crowed, I mean "growed" up! It's right before his first big mot, so he's looking a bit rough, but he's a very handsome young man, these days!
View attachment 2258941
They're still tiny - we just got them in, yesterday, so the only pics I really have are of the sick ones. We just finished dosing & feeding the others, so they're totally a mess and crashed. I'l see if I can get some good pics tonight, when they're feeling better.

View attachment 2258942

View attachment 2258944

Evei as a Mom, with her fist chick, Avatar. She hatched four, but crushed three of them before we realized she wasn't really "into" being a Mom. She now happily sets, but as soon as the babies hatch, we pull them. When she's done, she fusses at the door, telling us it's time to let her out. She goes straight back to the coop and is laying again within the week, as if nothing ever happened. She's a mess ... in a very good, funny way!.
View attachment 2258948

Avatar, all crowed, I mean "growed" up! It's right before his first big mot, so he's looking a bit rough, but he's a very handsome young man, these days!
View attachment 2258941
Oh wow! Every one is beautiful and absolutely adorable!

I'm sorry about the losses! I've always been worried they would all arrive dead so I haven't ever ordered chicks before. I'm on the waiting list for some Egyptian Fayoumi chicks though. Any tips for receiving them?

The Mille Fleurs really are pretty! I was going through the bantams and they kept catching my eye. I'm hoping to breed for Nn bantams.
Hmmm ... online orders. If I were to do it again, which I really do't plan on doing, I would do just as I did this time. This looks and may sound detailed, but it isn't hard, honest!

First, double check that your shipper knows exactly which post office to use - call the PO for the ID number, if you have to. It's easy and a good safeguard. A few days before your chicks are due to ship, call the PO and let them know to expect live chicks "on or about" the date. Make sure they know whether to deliver them to your home or to hold them at the Post Office for you to pick up. If you can, pick them up right away. If you send them out for regular delivery, there is no telling how long they will have to sit in a super-hot truck.

Call again as soon as you get the "Your chicks have shipped" notice from your hatchery. Your PO can usually tell you what time the delivery truck is due, so you can be ready. If you have an order tracking number, provide it to the PO. They can put out a track from their end and tell you exactly where your babies are sitting.

When you get the call that your babies are in-house, head to the PO. Mail trucks are notorious for schedule changes in either direction, so if you leave before you get "The Call," have a distraction on-hand, especially for Little People!

Some people like to bring their chicks home to check, but both times, my babies were late, so I checked them right there in the Post Office. Lemme tell you, I drew some interesting stares and comments, sitting on the floor in the corner with a box (and a handful) of very vocal chicks!

Suspecting that I would be in "Rescue Mode," I prepared a Delivery Kit. It worked out so well that I recommend it to anyone! It had:

Prepared electrolyte solution
Chick Saver, NutriDrench, Pedialyte, in a pinch, Gatorade. There are also DIY electrolyte mixes. Brand doesn't matter so much as getting something into their stressed systems so they recover quickly
An eyedropper to give them the electrolytes. They haven't learned how to drink yet and can drown, otherwise.
Paper towels or a soft tee shirt - to limit panic struggling (theirs, not yours!)
A fresh transport box - lined with a puppy piddle pad or paper towels (not shavings - no grip!) It especially helps if any chicks have died in transport. You can get the other babies out and get a clear picture in an empty box. Take your shipping box home with you, as the Hatchery will usually ask you questions about it, especially f there are losses.

Once you get them home, dose them again with liquids/electrolytes/vitamin water, whatever you have. Most bounce back pretty quickly, given some time to rest. The hardest part is letting them do that ... rest ... when all you really want to do is HOLD THEM!

I'd LOVE to see pics of your Fayoumis when they come. I've only seen adult birds. well, I've SORTOF seen adult birds ... they wouldn't stand still long enough to get a really good look at them, and no one could catch them!
And I LOVE me some Naked Necks! What breed will you start with?

I have ordered baby chicks through the mail for about 45 years and have never had even one chick DOA, including bantams. I have had a few that did not thrive and passed away within a few days but have been very fortunate overall.

I have ordered baby chicks through the mail for about 45 years and have never had even one chick DOA, including bantams. I have had a few that did not thrive and passed away within a few days but have been very fortunate overall.
I wish I could say the same! I haven't been nearly as lucky. From here on out, I think I'll stick with pick-up, whenever possible. I'd rather make a ridiculous drive than go through this again. It's SO heartbreaking!

Back
Top Bottom