Bantam Chicks are already fledging?

freerangeladies

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 8, 2012
I ordered some Bantams from Mcmurray (horrible experience, half my order died) they said they hatched two weeks ago Sunday. Problem is they are already fledgng and roosting on everything. They have full wings and tails. Could they be older? They have outgrown their brooder already and I am wondering if it is too early to move them to their outside (heated) coop.

Sounds about right for 2 week olds. Sucks that you lost them, in recent years I've had great luck with Murray McMurray and their customer service. Mine are 2 weeks and already flying like mad-chickens :)

Mine are two weeks and have started doing the same. They have wings and most have tails.
I'm going to move mine outside when the youngest are about two weeks. (We have six that are about a week younger than the other twelve.)
I'm only doing that because I have some in the incubator that will need the brooder. They have to move outside. But they still need a heat lamp at that age. They will need one until they are fully feathered.

I put my chicks outside when they were a week old, the dust they were creating was seriously messing with me. Anyway, now at 3 weeks old, most of them are pretty close to being fully feathered. 2 weeks sounds right for roosting and test flights. At 2 weeks old, my broody raised chicks are already on the big roost with the rest of the flock (about 6ft up). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom