Bantam choices

jeffsmith13

Songster
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
Billings ,Mo
I'm trying to decide which breed to add to my flock . I have egg layers and these would be purely pets . My thoughts are Nankin, Dutch , and Japanese bantams . I'd like well behaved roosters, and calm hens . I have also looked at Pyncheons but find them hard to locate. I have a breeder not too far away for the Nankin and am leaning that way. I have a few Japanese mix girls that I adore but don't have experience with pure Japanese nor Dutch . Anyone with experience please chime in .

Adding some pets to a laying flock can be fun, but be aware that your flock may not take kindly to smaller bantams. Some large fowl flocks harass smaller bantams, and some of the very small bantams can be quite vulnerable to larger birds.

Also, smaller bantams are more vulnerable to hawks. I have learned that my bantams are simply hawk bait where I live (while my larger fowl go mainly untouched).

Therefore, you may need to keep your smaller birds in a separate area altogether.

However, if they are pets, that doesn't have to be an issue and can even encourage the more pet like behavior rather than the rough and tumble ways of keeping up with a large flock.

I've not had the breeds you mention, but I do have Silkies and bantam Cochins. Either of those can be quite personable and gentle. Bantam Cochins (or Pekins) are especially docile and sweet. I do recommend that if you go with the foot feathered variety that you keep them on bark chips or the like. They become mud balls waiting for bumble foot otherwise.

Hopefully some experienced owners with the particular bantams you mention will pipe in.

Good luck on your pet hunt :D
LofMc

Thanks for the reply . I have Bantam Dominique, Aracauna, and Japanese Naked neck mix that are separate from the LF birds with the exception of my mottled Houdans who are pretty gentle with the smaller birds and too gentle for the big birds. I also have bantam Polish frizzle . I only keep clean legged birds . I have big birds for eggs , Bielefelder , LF Naked Neck , Crested Cream Legbar , Olive Eggers etc. my bantams are all older birds and have separate coop and run. I just want to add a few pets . I also have a large flock of wild turkeys that follow me around like puppies. They pretty much keep the hawks at bay , especially now with them bringing their little ones to the yard.

Decided on the Nankin, I have some kids in 4h near me I've given birds to before so maybe I can help promote the breed which is critically endangered.

Decided on the Nankin, I have some kids in 4h near me I've given birds to before so maybe I can help promote the breed which is critically endangered.
I haven't ever had them, but researched them thoroughly and I think from what you said you wanted, that you will be thrilled with the nankins.

Back
Top Bottom