Bantam Cochin Frizzle with no downy undercoat- help!!

Thassa

Songster
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Adirondack Park, NY
One of my little cochin frizzle girls doesn't seem to have any undercoat at all. I'm kind of worried about her because the weather is really starting to get cold here (teens at night). My coop (acutally an old workshop) I think is insulated but not heated and is quite large so really the insulation doesn't do much good. It is not heated, nor will it be.

She spends a lot of time outside by her own choice and shivers when she is out there. Should I make her a little sweater?

She has to be about the worst example of a frizzle. Her wing feathers only have main part so it looks and feels like she has little wires sticking out of her skin. She is a sweet little girl and just started laying these gigantic eggs for her tiny size.

Last edited:
The only 2 options I have is to make her a house chicken or cull her.
sad.png

I would bring her in for the winter and then who knows maybe by next winter when she molts she will be better prepared. also maybe a small dog sweeter or jacket may help. I would not cull her over it maybe put add in craigs list about her situation and some one may be more prepared but I think bring her in side and giving ehr her own little space would work out good

I'm thinking she may be one of the dreaded frizzle x frizzle I hear about. The longer feathers are from her wings and the others are from other places on her body. (found them on the floor) She is in a crate in the kitchen with one of her flock mates who is a little bit better off than she is but still not fully feathered out like she should be.

Back
Top Bottom