Bantam cochin or BR egg identification. .HELP

chickenreyna

Songster
Oct 10, 2017
Oklahoma
So to my supprise, i woke up to a little egg. It weighs 42.2 grams its in between a standard and bantam but closer to banty looking. If that makes sense. No blood nothing on it like i have heard with first eggs will be messy and struggle. Its brown. My bantam cochin was born December 6th and my Barred rock I purchased om the first of September from a tractor store.. So my question being, who do you think laid the brown egg. Its 42.2 grams. My barredrock is full grown practically it looks like an egg my banty cochin woulwould, but. my OEG bantam egg layers usually weigh aroumd 30grams on average so it would be very big for my banty cochins first egg or really small for my barred rock. ... My barredrock usually roams wity the standards but i put her in with the bantams last night bc a roost fell so there was not enough room for her so i am unsure if shes laid as i have several eggs that could resemble her eggs and i would not know. So i am unsure if my BR has laid. I haven't caught her laying if she has.

Thr pics below the egg in question is in the middle im asking about it is next to a americana EE and a buff orphingtons egg to each side by a pencil to help gage size easier..opinions please!

Attachments

• 1521214587212.jpg
    1521214587212.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20180316_103845.jpg
    20180316_103845.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180316_103841.jpg
    20180316_103841.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 8
I'm pretty certain that that egg is from the bantam Cochin. It would be much lighter if it was from a barred rock.

Also, bantam Cochin are larger than OEGB, and they lay larger eggs than the OEGB do.
I thought the same thing but since it was her first egg i thought it would be a little smaller weight wise. I def thought bantam when i first saw it. Im incubating them so i am hoping its fertilized and fromthe cochin as she is in a coop with a other male cochin same age as her. Lol only time will tell:)

I am sure your bantam laid it, does she ever look like or show signs she has to lay? Is her comb small and pale or red and plump? Your chicken's comb can also show if your chicken is ready or has to lay. You can also check out my article and read it, ''chickens getting ready to lay''.

Here's a photo of this egg next to the oegb egg... But the cochin is slightly larger i just was kt expecting hrr first egg to be so much noticeably larger than Mh other bantams. . lol ok thank yoi for everyone replying i appreciate it so much

Attachments

• 20180316_114720-1.jpg
    20180316_114720-1.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 8
I am sure your bantam laid it, does she ever look like or show signs she has to lay? Is her comb small and pale or red and plump? Your chicken's comb can also show if your chicken is ready or has to lay. You can also check out my article and read it, ''chickens getting ready to lay''.
Her wattles look a little more noticabld but shes a frizzle bantam cochin so everything is really distracting

Back
Top Bottom