Bantam Cochin questions

Yes I am. Holding off till I know for sure before I get rid of any "Roos" Cant believe I have one already crowing lol.  Just trying to lean more about the breed. I got them to sit eggs for me. They are just soooo sweet (for the most part lol) and an "In your face breed" A question though. If the feathered feed are dom would a cross with a different large fowl breed have feathered feet? Or would it be a "bantam" sized chicken with feathered feet?

i dont know what you would get trying to cross LF and bantam. But clean legged and feather legged crissed offspring will always have feathered feet or at least stubbles

i dont know what you would get trying to cross LF and bantam. But clean legged and feather legged crissed offspring will always have feathered feet or at least stubbles
OH! I wasn't thinking of crossing just asking about the genetics. Thank you for the info. Im just curious Is all. I mean. Bantam is a "smaller" version of the larger but where did the feathered feet come from lol.

I brought them home at 10 days old. Looking at them, pics on here and comparing to the Reds I have that are about 10 days older I notice that the larger ones look almost like they could be LF Cochin? My largest "Bantam" is a little larger then my smallest red. But still not as big as Most of the reds. If the breeder did cross a LF with a bantam or one of their breeding birds came from the lager Cochin could it pass down and produce a clutch of mixed sizes?

Yes im sure of the age. They were hatched by the breeder and I have pics of them still wet. I was noticing the same thing. All the pics I have seen looks smaller at that age. One of em crows already!! Some are 3 times larger than the others..Guess ill wait and see if I get eggs lol.
You're feeding them well then ;)

1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 are all boys

OH! I wasn't thinking of crossing just asking about the genetics. Thank you for the info. Im just curious Is all. I mean. Bantam is a "smaller" version of the larger but where did the feathered feet come from lol.
they are cochins, cochins have feathered feet. That is where they came from....

they are cochins, cochins have feathered feet. That is where they came from....
LOL See!!??? Told you I knew nothing of the breed. And the more info I get the more confused I get. I thought all bantams had feathered feet. Even the ones from Un feathered LF. Guess I need to go look up "how to make a bantam" lol.

LOL See!!??? Told you I knew nothing of the breed. And the more info I get the more confused I get. I thought all bantams had feathered feet. Even the ones from Un feathered LF. Guess I need to go look up "how to make a bantam" lol.
not all bantams have feathered feet, that would be like saying all LF have to have feathered feet. Just to name so CL bantams off the top of my head- RIR, ameraucanas, easter eggers, rocks, and there are others. All I listed also have LF versions.

not all bantams have feathered feet, that would be like saying all LF have to have feathered feet. Just to name so CL bantams off the top of my head- RIR, ameraucanas, easter eggers, rocks, and there are others. All I listed also have LF versions.
Ahhh and therein lies my confusion lol. Guess I just thought they all did. Now I understand. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom