bantam cochin quitters

Murielfarms

Chirping
Jan 28, 2022
Kenora, Ontario Canada
I'm just wondering if there is anything different about bantam cochin eggs (Its my first time hatching this breed)? I put 7 bantam cochins 6 wyandotte, 6 brahma, and 6 easter eggers in the incubator. Besides a couple of infertile EE's everything seems to be fine except for the batam eggs. 5 out of 7 have significant blood rings and lack of development. All eggs came from the same place and went in the same incubator on the same day, so i'm just wondering why the bantams would be doing so poorly compared to everyone else.? Are they more delicate or needy than other breeds? All the bantam eggs were in the same area of the incubator, so could that area have significantly poorer conditions? Thanks for any info before I try again with another batch.

I'm just wondering if there is anything different about bantam cochin eggs (Its my first time hatching this breed)? I put 7 bantam cochins 6 wyandotte, 6 brahma, and 6 easter eggers in the incubator. Besides a couple of infertile EE's everything seems to be fine except for the batam eggs. 5 out of 7 have significant blood rings and lack of development. All eggs came from the same place and went in the same incubator on the same day, so i'm just wondering why the bantams would be doing so poorly compared to everyone else.? Are they more delicate or needy than other breeds? All the bantam eggs were in the same area of the incubator, so could that area have significantly poorer conditions? Thanks for any info before I try again with another batch.
Sorry I can't help :(

Kind of wondering the same. Had about 5 Cochin egg (Cochins are regular sized), but none hatched, even though they are fertile :hmm

I guess my question is what do you mean by lack of development? Are you getting to the stage where you're seeing an embryo? Blood rings can happen in unfertilized eggs too. Are you sure your eggs are fertile? I know that cochins are notoriously hard to impregnate because of the fluff.

I guess my question is what do you mean by lack of development? Are you getting to the stage where you're seeing an embryo? Blood rings can happen in unfertilized eggs too. Are you sure your eggs are fertile? I know that cochins are notoriously hard to impregnate because of the fluff.
I didn't realize you could get blood rings in unfertilized eggs. I thought the blood rings were disintegrating blood vessels that settle near the bottom of the egg. That wouldn't happen if they weren't fertile would it?

Back
Top Bottom