Bantam Cochin thread.

I don't know if it's normal or not, but my banty Cochin hen was 29 weeks old before she layed her first egg. When she was 27 weeks old I did put a light in the coop so she would have 15 hours of light a day. Now that she's been laying for a couple of weeks I've backed it off to 12 hours. Hope yours starts laying soon.

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I am in central Georgia and NEED some bantam cochin pullets/hens. We raised 4 of these sweet babies from chicks and only 1 is a hen. Our sweet Boo is being terrorized by our other breeds. I am hoping if I add more cochins, she won't be at such a disadvantage. I am also grateful for any advice? The Orpingtons that she was raised with always accepted her but are now the main 2 harassing her.

Hi, I'm new to this thread. I am in central Georgia and NEED some bantam cochin pullets/hens. We raised 4 of these sweet babies from chicks and only 1 is a hen. Our sweet Boo is being terrorized by our other breeds. I am hoping if I add more cochins, she won't be at such a disadvantage. I am also grateful for any advice? The Orpingtons that she was raised with always accepted her but are now the main 2 harassing her.
Wow, that is a challenge. Not the same as introducing a new girl.

I am trying something at my house for some of my young bantams that may work for you.

I have 6 big girls, 4 cochins and 10 young bantams that are trying to move into the main coop. They have a coop they were brooded in but are interested in the main coop now. It is not a big coop and some of the bantams were allowed in but then 2 big girls and one of the cochins started pecking the youngsters. I pulled the "mean girls" out and put them into the brooder and put the bantams into the main coop with the ones that were nice.

I am hoping that without the troublemakers, the others will accept and allow the youngsters to integrate into the group. Later I will let the others back in and see if they behave.

I did something like this with another hen who was being too aggressive and by isolating her for a while, it seems she lost status and was not allowed to bully others when she joined the group again.

I will keep you updated

I just got a 5 month old mille fleur bantam cochin pullet. She will not get with in 5 feet of me even with treats and is almost impossible to catch. But one I get her she is super mello and will willing sit in my lap. Will she grow out of being so skittish when trying to be caught or will she stay like this.

I just got two 8 week old babies today and they are AWESOME I fell in love with them when I saw them and they are my favorite members of my flock by far!!! Only prob is not sure if I have two Roos :(
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I really feel like they both are girls but the red wattles scare me!!! They just look girly and I hope I'm right any advise from someone who has raised this wonderful breed would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, I had to chuckle a bit becuase I'd never heard someone refer to wattles as being "girly". Looking at the feather tips, it appears to me that the white is a cockerel, and the blue is a pullet.

Sorry if that read wrong I meant the chicks look girly their wattles are what concerns me lol I hope so I am really hoping for at least one girl but those stupid wattles are identical!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom