Bantam Cochin

Jun 22, 2020
So I have been thinking about getting some bantam cochin hens for a little while now. I live in an area where it gets really cold in the winter (anywhere from the twenties to below 0, and in the 30s on the warmest days) and I heard this breed is one of the few bantams that does well in the cold. Is this true in your experience? I was also wondering if they can be breed with a Polish rooster. Another question I have is price range for 20 week old hens? Because I found some locally gor about 5 dollars a hen is this suspiciously cheap? I heard they start laying late around 8-9 months old is this true? Those are all my questions! Anything is helpful, and please include any info you thing would be helpful even if it isn't addressing any of my questions. Thank you in advance!

Btw these are the photos from the breeder I am thinkibg about getting them from:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-58.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-58.png
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-44.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-44.png
    905.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-47.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-47.png
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-51.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-51.png
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-55.png
    Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-07-55.png
    1 MB · Views: 12
So I have been thinking about getting some bantam cochin hens for a little while now. I live in an area where it gets really cold in the winter (anywhere from the twenties to below 0, and in the 30s on the warmest days) and I heard this breed is one of the few bantams that does well in the cold. Is this true in your experience? I was also wondering if they can be breed with a Polish rooster. Another question I have is price range for 20 week old hens? Because I found some locally gor about 5 dollars a hen is this suspiciously cheap? I heard they start laying late around 8-9 months old is this true? Those are all my questions! Anything is helpful, and please include any info you thing would be helpful even if it isn't addressing any of my questions. Thank you in advance!
Yes they should do great in cold weather!😉 They are very heavily feathered and have feathers on their feet! Also almost all breeds of chickens are cold hardy so those ones should be especially cold hardy!😉 They should be fine with a polish rooster!😉 And it does seem a bit cheap for such old for sure pullets! But if they are trying to get rid of them then maybe not? Maybe someone else will give you some advice on that one!😉 I’m not sure on that laying one but I have heard that Cochins are very slow to mature and they are bantams so that could be true?

Yes Cochins are VERY broody!!🤣 And they are overall just very sweet and friendly birds!😉
Mine aren't unfriendly, they just dont get handled a whole lot. So they aren't cuddly.
But yes, if constantly held and raised right, as with any chicken, they can be very friendly!

Last edited:
I love the idea of a polish cochin!🤩

And as for mix breeding, I have a cockerel whose mother was a red bantam Cochin, and his father was a standard size, large Buff Brahma.
His name is Bootsie, and he is very sweet!View attachment 2789298View attachment 2789301
He is a hair taller than my bantam Cochin rooster, so not big. But he is lanky. More leg than the B. Cochin.

Mine aren't unfriendly, they just dont get handled a whole lot. So they aren't cuddly.
But yes, if constantly held and raised right, as with any chicken, they can be very friendly!
Yeah I don’t have any Cochin bantams but I was just talking about regular Cochins!😉 Some of mine are SUPER friendly! And one that my mom used to have was the nicest!😉 But I think they are still super sweet (like to the others) and have good personalities even if they aren’t super friendly towards people!😉

Back
Top Bottom