BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics

I have 9 week old bantam Cochin mixes (probably silkie) they have been out in the coop for a week now with no heat just straw and pine shavings, we live in southern Indiana. I have a really small/ cheap coop that was given to me and I'm really worried about putting heat in it and my husband doesn't want to run an extension cord until we get a chain link put up around the coop because he's worried the dog will mess with the extension cord. We are waiting for the fencing company to come back out sometime in the next 2 weeks. The weather has been in the 40's in the day and mid-high 30's at night. They have been sleeping cuddled up in one of the nesting boxes which everything in the coop is pretty much the same level (is this okay ice read that their breed tends to do this a lot or do I need to block them off, there just not much Soace in there) Even the perchs are just sitting on the ground. There's not really anywhere on the side for me to hook them into unless I somehow hang them from the top. Also, this week the temps are going to drop to 19-mid 30s at night. Please give me your advice! Will they be okay without heat or do I really need to figure out how to put heat other there or should I put them in their Rubbermaid brooder in the garage on the nights it's supposed to be below freezing.

Don't put a heat lamp in, chickens don't really need it once they are fully feathered. I live in an area where we get lots of negitive temps and they do fine huddled together for warmth as long as the coop is well bedded and fairly draft free. Last night our area had temps from -3 to -21 with the average of -13 and all the birds did fine and I have 4 large coops and bedded with pine shavings and no heat lamps anywhere. Our day time temps were only 24, again they did fine all day outside too. You may need to build a stronger coop later though. I have 2 month olds out with the older birds as well, they just huddle in with the rest. As to the roosts, most of my birds don't roost very far off the ground, but it depends on the breed. My Jersey Giants I don't allow to roost off the ground, the polish and Orloffs have roosts that are only about 18 inches up and half of them use the floor of the house or nest box to cuddle in, especially on the supper cold nights, and I use a thick layer of shavings. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Finally picked up my new SQ Cochin bantams! The male has a little white in him but the hen has good coloring. So I have more breeding projects lol! I named the rooster HeiHei and the hen Luna.

Finally picked up my new SQ Cochin bantams! The male has a little white in him but the hen has good coloring. So I have more breeding projects lol! I named the rooster HeiHei and the hen Luna.

hey guys! Super long time no see :< I've been busy/forgetting about this website, and I was doing the chickens the other day and remembered!

So I posted a long long (Lmao I think it was August) When I posted about my few week old chicks!! I'm going to get wayyyy updated pictures soon, but these mixed dudes are all grown up!
4 are bantam, and two are polish (Though one recently just passed away :( )
So I thought it would be interesting to tell/show you guys!

The first dude is a bantam cochin rooster- no idea who his parents are BUT I can maybe guess the dad is Mr.Frizzle because both have the exact same personalities x,D He's got a large comb/waddle going, and a hairdo going, I have no clue where the hair came from.

http://i.imgur.com/LctJ5oD.jpg

The second girl is a regular black bantam cochin frizzle. Pretty shy, doesn't like me all that much, I call her pinecone because she's a dark-ish grey/looks a little brown to me- Has light colors at the tip of her wings going.

http://i.imgur.com/SmUhB0I.jpg

The two polish are/were similar- looked the exact same except one was smaller (Hen) and one was bigger (Rooster) the rooster passed away two weeks ago due to that I only have 13 chickens, and they were probably fighting over hens, or just fighting in general. My roosters (Pablo and Frizz) aren't normally mean to eachother since there used to be only two, but when the polish roo grew up they probably got into a fight with him :< Ok, so what they looked like? Golden orange+Light/dark browns, B E A U T I F U L- Long tails, had a green shimmer to them. I just need to say real quick; my polish hen is probably the prettiest chicken I've had!!! They also have these mohawks- both had one. They're super funny. They don't exactly cover their eyes, and it's just cute. There is short black feathers in it, and long orange feathers in the mohawk!!

http://i.imgur.com/mLYntGu.jpg

The last two are the regular bantam cochin black hens. They stick together, and I can't tell the two apart since they look the exact same. They're also really shy, and kinda tiny, but they are really cute, and kinda sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/6pXCiqG.jpg

Last edited:
I have four 11 week old chickens 3 are bantam Cochin/ silkie mixes, one a sebright/ bantam Cochin mix and one silkie. 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. I really should only keep one cockerel since we live in a neighborhood but Im having a hard time deciding to rehome him. I'm for sure going to get another pullet, probably a silkie so mine has a friend. I'd like to keep my four and add a 5th just not sure if I have the space in my coop. My coop is pretty tiny only 40"x 40" but they all sleep huddled together in a corner or one of the 3 nesting boxes. The run is 3.5'x12' and then we fenced in a 21'x18' area that I let them roam in for a few hours a day when I'm home. Do you think since they are all small breeds 5 will to too many in the small coop? Advice please!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom