Bantam Cochins vs Rosecombs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OrganicEggs75, Mar 20, 2011.

1. OrganicEggs75

OrganicEggs75 Mottled Rosecomb Heaven

Jul 27, 2010
    Im want to breed Bantam Cochins and Rosecombs for showing. Anyone know where I can get my hands on some??? I really want some Molted and some Golden laced B Cochins. How hard would it be to get some of those. Can these breeds be feather sexed? Can anyone post pics of some?

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    cant help with the rosecombs, but for cochins, go to cochinsinternational.cochinsrule.com, there you will find the written standards, drawings, message board, and breeder directories. if you want quality study the standard before shopping, this goes for any breed

3. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    rose combs are the easier out 2 less thing to bred for and less people breeding them

4. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    seem like better the cochin less likely it well breed

5. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Congrats on your interest in GL Bantam Cochins! We definitely need more breeders "working" on them. I say "working" on them because they are a real challenge, to say the least. But beautiful, and well worth the time and effort!
    There are some pics of my bantam GL's on My Pages.

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:yes and no

Cochins are far more popular right now so, yes, the competition is fierce BUT many of the rosecomb breeders have been in love with this variety for well over 40 years and many of those were working on the same line with their partner predecessors meaning some of these lines of rosecombs have been bred tight for generations. The rosecomb world is very small and close knit and it is nearly impossible to compete with these guys and gals unless you get with the best and buy and learn from them. So.. you may go to a show with virtually no competition and do very well with your "SQ" birds you've recently purchased or you may stumble into competition with a legend in which you have no chance in heck.

I have been breeding rosecombs and cochins for the past couple of years... cochins not too seriously. I see many many cochins at all the shows and you'll get lost in the crowd of them but, you'll be able to buy some of those show stoppers for pretty reasonable prices right outside in the parking area. There may be 5-10 rosecombs at the show and I've NEVER seen any other colors than black/blue or splash being shown. I know other parts of the country have other colors but, not too much where I am... anyway, there may only be a few RC's there but chances are they are extremely well bred and will be in the ribbons. The thing about rosecombs is a huge majority of their points (show points) are based just on the head. These birds must be near perfect in that area to do well at all. Which means you need to have an eye for perfection and breed a lot of them to get what you want.

They're both so beautiful and both are my favorite bantam breeds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Why not just do both [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by