bantam cochins

Mottled, like white, is recessive. It takes two mottle genes to get the white tips on the feathers. Your hen will pass one on to each of her offspring, but that's not enough to create the pattern. If the father carries the gene, he will pass it on to half of his chicks, and half of them will be mottled. If he doesn't, they will all be solid. The base color depends on which bird is the father. The blue will make black and blue, the splask will make all blue.

so if the splash roo or the blue roo has the mottled gene then they will throw spots if they do not then they will come out solid. I have the hens in mottled and the two roos blue and splash. oh and if i have a blue off spring from these that half a mottled gene and cross it back on a mottled roo will i get a mottled blue?

If your blue or splash father carries the mottling gene, then half of your chicks should be spotted. The solid ones will still carry one Mo gene, so crossing them back to mottled will geve you some mottleds as well.

Back
Top Bottom