Love my blues but what about adding mottling?

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
I have a variety of Cochins! All sorts of blues and whites. We have a black mottled Cochin bantam. I’m seeing the blue, black, and splash babies in crazy cool colors already on week one. What should I expect with this rooster and my hens?
I have a lot of white chicks with black also. Anyone tell me what’s going on there?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.1 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1750.jpeg
    IMG_1750.jpeg
    613.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1746.jpeg
    IMG_1746.jpeg
    551.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Looks like your white must be dominant white, creating paint. Which is weird because Cochins only are recessive white and a quick Google search brings up no paint Cochins advertised and I know people would be all over that. If your white really is dominant white, your mottled rooster with these dominant white should make paints and with your blues he would produce blues and blacks.
Future generations would produce mottling.

Looks like your white must be dominant white, creating paint. Which is weird because Cochins only are recessive white and a quick Google search brings up no paint Cochins advertised and I know people would be all over that. If your white really is dominant white, your mottled rooster with these dominant white should make paints and with your blues he would produce blues and blacks.
Future generations would produce mottling.

Attachments

• IMG_9361.png
    IMG_9361.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
The only other “white” looking we have is a Smokey Pearl. It’s a Hoover cross that think are a few different things but definitely wouldn’t be white dominant.

Attachments

• IMG_1931.jpeg
    IMG_1931.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 15
The only other “white” looking we have is a Smokey Pearl. It’s a Hoover cross that think are a few different things but definitely wouldn’t be white dominant.
Actually it is dominant white, so I am guessing that’s the parent to your paint one.

Actually it is dominant white, so I am guessing that’s the parent to your paint one.
The Smokey pearl is white dominant? It would make sense if they were! Do you have info or a link on where you found information about them? I’ve only read speculation on them!

Leghorns are commonly used in layer breeds and they are dominant white. This leads to breeds with paint coloring (one dominant white gene, one black gene). Also, Smokey Pearl are known for ghost barring, another sign of dominant white.

Leghorns are commonly used in layer breeds and they are dominant white. This leads to breeds with paint coloring (one dominant white gene, one black gene). Also, Smokey Pearl are known for ghost barring, another sign of dominant white.
I appreciate your info!

Back
Top Bottom