Mottling confuses me!

Ashleyboz

Songster
Oct 27, 2023
We have a black mottled Cochin bantam rooster named Henry! (He has it out for me)
Then we have blue and splash Cochins.
Some Smokey Pearls
Barred rocks and RIR

This second hatch has me now researching split mottling? Can someone explain to me what these guys are and what they will look like? I know with chicks the whole white head will be mottled. Also, have some white with spots. Will these be paint? I read paint from the Smokey pearls?

The last picture and the picture after our rooster I don’t know what she is…a whole lot of color going on and learning genetics now I’m super confused! IMG_1564.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    412.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1998.jpeg
    IMG_1998.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1983.jpeg
    IMG_1983.jpeg
    507 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1973.jpeg
    IMG_1973.jpeg
    454.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1980.jpeg
    IMG_1980.jpeg
    523 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1971.jpeg
    IMG_1971.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1967.jpeg
    IMG_1967.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1970.jpeg
    IMG_1970.jpeg
    616.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1913.jpeg
    IMG_1913.jpeg
    616.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1753.jpeg
    IMG_1753.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1740.png
    IMG_1740.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1307.jpeg
    IMG_1307.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1215.jpeg
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 10
With one breed of rooster, then five different breeds and/or colors of hens, it's going to be hard to know exactly what some are going to be, but...I do know this much at least:

* Mottling (MO) takes two genes, meaning, the chick must have two copies of the gene to show it. Mottling is recessive, so one of the parents could carry the gene and not show it.

* White with dots is usually a paint.

Your last picture of one is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like nearly a frizzle.

You sort of have a "box of chocolates," here in chickens that you're breeding so what you're going to get may not be very common.

I'll post this link I use for COLOR GENETICs only, it isn't about breeds, just colors, but might also help you.

With one breed of rooster, then five different breeds and/or colors of hens, it's going to be hard to know exactly what some are going to be, but...I do know this much at least:

* Mottling (MO) takes two genes, meaning, the chick must have two copies of the gene to show it. Mottling is recessive, so one of the parents could carry the gene and not show it.

* White with dots is usually a paint.

Your last picture of one is absolutely gorgeous. It looks like nearly a frizzle.

You sort of have a "box of chocolates," here in chickens that you're breeding so what you're going to get may not be very common.

I'll post this link I use for COLOR GENETICs only, it isn't about breeds, just colors, but might also help you.
I’m kind of gathering exactly what you said about the box of chocolates! I’m finding that out! It’s exciting for me since it does get you in touch with learning at a deeper level in genetics but my patience 🤯 😂 I’m sure in time with coloring too it will be clearer what we have.
And yes. The last bird I’m scratching my head. So many questions lol!

The last bird I’m scratching my head. So many questions lol!
I think the last chick has white barring.

We have a black mottled Cochin bantam rooster named Henry! (He has it out for me)
Then we have blue and splash Cochins.
Some Smokey Pearls
Barred rocks and RIR
The barred chick probably comes from the Barred Rock hen, but there is also a chance of a barred chick coming from a Smokey Pearl hen.

Either way, since the father is not barred, the barring must come from the mother, and a cross like that produces sexlinks (barred sons, not-barred daughters.) So any chick with white barring must be a male.

Back
Top Bottom