Bantam Easter Egger??????? updated post#20

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickendude, Sep 2, 2011.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    All of these chickens were hatched April 1st making them 5 months old now. They all developed into large birds with the exception of the EE. Is this typical of this breed? Is there such thing as an EE bantam? Here is a picture so you can see the size difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Looks like a scrawny LF to me. Not putting him down he might be sweet, don't know him.

To answer yoyr question: yes there are bantam EE's.

3. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:No offense taken. It is supposed to be an EE pullet. No eggs yet so gender has not been confirmed.

4. EMaker

EMaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    She is a pullet. There is such a thing as a bantam EE, but they are not common at feed stores, hatcheries. Usually when you order EEs, they are LF. However, the odd feathering almost looks like she has Silkie in her, which would explain her smaller size. The other possibility is that she's just small, or a slow grower---both happen as well. I think she's cute.

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Thanks for the input. I bet her eggs are going to be tiny.

6. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think there is something genetically wrong with the bird and I don't think it will every lay or even make it very long. Sorry, but that is my opinion. [​IMG]

7. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I agree with pips&peeps. It looks like there may be some sort of dwarfism going on with this bird.

I had a Delaware hatch and end up being a dwarf, it couldn't keep up with the rest of the birds and eventually was becoming malnourished, so we culled the chick.

Hopefully your little one is just that, little.

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    pips&peeps :

I think there is something genetically wrong with the bird and I don't think it will every lay or even make it very long. Sorry, but that is my opinion. [​IMG]

I had that very same thought. But oddly enough she is very active and eats well. The other three in the photo protect her from my RIR girls, which can be ruthless with the picking. You can see she is missing some of her tail feathers.​

9. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Also, the funny thing is she was the largest of the 4 when I got them as day olds. But with in a few weeks they started to outgrow her by leaps and bounds.

10. dak

dak geek dvm

Mar 21, 2010
    Quote:Privettt hatchery sells bantam "Ameraucanas" which are actually EEs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by