Bantam EE breeding project (asking for a friend)

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone, I have a question about a friend who is starting a small business selling some chicks in her area. She's not NPIP certified, but she doesn't plan on creating a large business either, something small with a few breeds. So far, the only pure bred she has is a good group of Jubilee Orpington hens and a rooster. She also has EE's, an Asain black, (both hens), Maran roosters and 2 bantam roosters.
To add another breed to her flock, she wants to try experimenting with crossing the bantam roosters to her EE hens, to create bantam EE's. I had a few questions about this.
1) How many times do you think it will take making crosses, to get the bantam sized EE's that she's looking for? Since EE's don't have a standard/aren't a real breed, all were really looking for the is bantam size, and colored eggs. Muffs and a beard would be ideal, but not necessary. Are we going to have to breed back to the bantam rooster or the EE hen to accomplish the traits we want?

2) Which rooster should she use to breed back to her EE's? She has two bantam roosters. Diva is a White Tailed Black Japanese bantam, and Tiny I'm not entirely sure. He's a bit smaller than Diva and all black. Clean legs, single comb. She got them at TSC. I'll post pictures of both when I get them.
Which rooster would be the best one to breed to, for the EE looks and egg color?

3) I've heard that when you cross standard and bantams, you can get about 50/50 standard and bantam chicks. Is this correct?
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the help.

I'd start with Bantam hens, since they'll produce Dwarfed chicks, which will remain pretty small when mature.

Then take the offspring, breed them together for a few generations, then start line breeding with the parents, & Grandparents.

Bantam Dwarfism is a Sex-linked gene, from my understanding with my research into Dwarfism in chickens.

I'd start with Bantam hens, since they'll produce Dwarfed chicks, which will remain pretty small when mature.

Then take the offspring, breed them together for a few generations, then start line breeding with the parents, & Grandparents.

Bantam Dwarfism is a Sex-linked gene, from my understanding with my research into Dwarfism in chickens.
Interesting. This is very helpful. Do you think we could still accomplish it with bantam roosters, or would we only get standards?

You'll get some bantams, some larger and some mediums. My main flock master in the mixed flock is half bantam Cochin (mom) and half standard Ameraucana (dad). He's certainly not a bantam, but he's not quite standard either. Looking at him hands on, you'll notice he has a standard body and bantam wings and legs

You'll get some bantams, some larger and some mediums. My main flock master in the mixed flock is half bantam Cochin (mom) and half standard Ameraucana (dad). He's certainly not a bantam, but he's not quite standard either. Looking at him hands on, you'll notice he has a standard body and bantam wings and legs
Interesting, so it will just take longer breeding back to offspring to get the size is what I'm assuming.
Also want to make sure that breeding siblings isn't going to be a problem? I think I know the answer but had to double check. 😁

Good to know. So assuming it will still produce bantam chicks, will it just take more breeding to get the desired traits? Would breeding with one of the two roo's work better than the other?
I don't have a whole lot of experience with this breeding, since I never continued with my Bantam mixes.

Yes, it will most likely take more work to get what you want.

Not sure what you mean, by breeding one roo would be better.

Back
Top Bottom