Bantam Egg size

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cottagechick, Aug 14, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    If people who have bantams could list the type they have and give an idea of the egg size. Something meaningful - like equivalent to two medium store eggs or or ten; or the size of a dime or a quarter. When people say tiny or small or large...I don't really know if there idea is the same as mine. If you have pics of your eggs next to a regular store sized egg that would be even better. Also if they have any insights into length of molts and total broodiness in general. For example, I had 3 of x bantams and they were generally broody 90 percent of the year? I am still trying to get a feel for quantity/size of eggs to expect when my chickens start laying in 6-9 months....I have to do something while I wait for my new chicks to arrive... [​IMG]

2. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    I have some Silkies. They lay what's called a "pee wee" egg, usually about 38 grams. A large egg is at least 56 grams, for comparison since I don't have a picture. There is a standard way to "measure" eggs...

Peewee - less than 42 grams
    Small - at least 42 grams
    Medium - at least 49 grams
    Large - at least 56 grams
    Extra Large - at least 64 grams
    Jumbo - 70 grams or more

If a recipe calls for 2 large eggs and all I have are pee wees, I would use 3 eggs.

I can't speak to molting or broodiness, but I hope my egg info was helpful. [​IMG]

3. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My New Hampshire bantams lay a 1.3 oz egg as hens.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    And, if you use more eggs, like 3 banties to 1 standard, will the cholesterol be higher? My bantie eggs have nearly the same size yolk as some of my standards so this thought crossed my mind..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by