Bantam eggs

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by crooked stripe, Feb 5, 2009.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Is there anything special you folks do with bantam eggs. They are so small there can't be much to them. I just started getting some 2/1/09. My daughter wanted some for hatching so I saved the first small bunch. My 5 BO's keep me eggs for eating and cooking.

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    Instead of eating a couple eggs I eat 4 eggs...kinda like with the quail eggs...I eat a dozen of them

3. MicMoo

MicMoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I use our bantam eggs for everything but usually increase the number eggs by 1-1/2 to 2 times whatever the recipe calls for.

For the last couple of family potlucks I've made deviled eggs and they're a 'huge' hit because they're smaller than what people expect. For Superbowl Sunday, I boiled a dozen eggs to devil. After filling 12 egg-halves with the normal yellow filling (Pittsburgh Steelers) I added red food color to the mix so the other 12 would have red filling (Arizona Cardinals). Naturally there was a problem... each team can only have 11 people on the field at one time so the DS and I each had to eat one before the party. [​IMG]

4. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Pickle them!

5. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I use my bantie eggs, I just double them. If it calls for 2 eggs I use 3 to 4 of them depending how small they are. I do like the idea of pickeling (sp) them.

6. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    The are great, use them for eveything...just use more of them. The yolks are quite large.

7. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Quote:OMG thats funny !!! What a creative mind !! you have !!!

I too increase the number of eggs I put in a recipe by a half....All my eggs are different sizes....so if the recipe calls for two large eggs I add 2 medium size eggs and a wee bantam (or two).

Now I am going to save my bantams for deviled eggs !!!

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I pickled some as suggested. I put them in with beets and then in the frig to marinate. Yesterday my granddaughter ask for some of the large jelly beans for a snack so I gave her one. What a look I got.

9. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Bite size deviled eggs. Takes some time to peel all but well worth it. We took several dozen to a Xmas dinner and none were left. In fact they were looking for more. My bantams were free ranging at the time and the yolks were especially dark and rich.

I like them scrambled too. Percentage wise Bantam eggs have more yolk than a standard egg. Gives my omelettes the taste I really like.

Matt

10. BB3

BB3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2008
    My wife boils and pickles them with beets, eww, but she made me try one.
    I' ve thought of selling them as All Natural Organic Eggs. [​IMG]
    or at least natural.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by