Bantam flock with multiple roosters and cockrels

This worked for a while 3 Marans roosters and 4 hens. Major left Oswald to look after the hens and the other rooster wandered off somewhere never to be seen again. This was Tribe 1 a long time ago. they all lived together and were all related but in what way I don't know.
View attachment 3540708
This is Tribe 2, all bantams of various mixtures. They were all related Grandfather, Father and son. No problems between the males really. Grandfather and the senior hen Bluespot wouldn't put up with any nonsense.
Number of hens varied from 3 to 7.
View attachment 3540709
That's very encouraging. Are they free roaming or in a pen? Do they all sleep in the same shed?

Do you feel that the ratio really matters? I have 4 rooster and 4 hens. They're now 16.5 weeks old and head rooster is getting aggressive with wannabees that crow out of turn. Chasing them around the pen, latching on to their wings etc. Sometimes they all take turns crowing peacefully, but I guess there's an order to it. I'm not sure whether or not to purchase more hens or whether that will cause further upheaval. Otherwise they're pretty close. Lots of affectionate pruning and nuzzling. I don't see much rivalry among the hens. Not sure if new hens would make things worse or better. Plus I don't think we could add more than 2-4 max. The shed is 6x8 and the pen is around 20x12 and occasionally we let them into a much bigger run 2-3 times per day if we're in that area.

Do you feel that the ratio really matters? I have 4 rooster and 4 hens. They're now 16.5 weeks old and head rooster is getting aggressive with wannabees that crow out of turn. Chasing them around the pen, latching on to their wings etc. Sometimes they all take turns crowing peacefully, but I guess there's an order to it. I'm not sure whether or not to purchase more hens or whether that will cause further upheaval. Otherwise they're pretty close. Lots of affectionate pruning and nuzzling. I don't see much rivalry among the hens. Not sure if new hens would make things worse or better. Plus I don't think we could add more than 2-4 max. The shed is 6x8 and the pen is around 20x12 and occasionally we let them into a much bigger run 2-3 times per day if we're in that area.
I got a straight run of bantams, Speckled Sussex. I wound up with 7 cockerels and 3 pullets, so I ordered sexed bantam Dominiques. I knew that the pullets were going to get worn out, not to mention having possible fights between the cockerels, so I rehomed all but the two best looking Sussex cockerels.

I now have 2 roos (18 weeks old) and 7 pullets (18 and 12 weeks old). They seem to get along.

Tonight one of the roos (Samuel) grabbed a Dominique pullet by the neck and attempted to mount. She was screeching, trying to get away when the other roo (Joel) grabbed Samuel by the neck and mounted HIM!

Samuel then screeched, broke away, and ran.

Joel has just demonstrated who is top roo.

And peace has returned to the flock. For now.

If the roos can't coexist I will rehome one.

I started my bantam flocks last year. I currently have two flocks with multiple chicks and teens, and more on the way. (Raised by broodies)
I'd like to keep some of my new male chicks.
I want to know how y'all manage your flocks with multiple bantam roosters.

I'm interested in knowing:
1. how many roosters/cockerels you keep per hen/pullet.
2. How old they are.
3. What breeds they are.
4. Whether they are housed together, ranged together, or kept seperately at all times.
I have roughly a 30 bantam mixed flock. I run about 3-4 roosters with the hens. So that’s about 7 hens per roo. Sometimes I have more roosters in with the ladies. This flock is 5yrs-1yr.
When breeding my pure beeds (Silkie, D’Uccles, OEB, Jap, Brown Red Mottled D’Uccles) I have 1 rooster per 4 hens. Mostly bc I only have 4 hens to go with that particular rooster. Ages very
I also keep a bantam bachelor pen for any roosters I plan to sell or a not using to breed at the time. Age is very

There's usually little worries when the cockerels were raised together, especially if related- provided they have enough room and hens (I don't raise aggressive breeds!) Still you have to be prepared in case everything goes south. My chicks I received in April were sexed (2 cockerels and 13 pullets) They spent the first 4 weeks indoors and the last 8 with my flock of (8) hens in the same run but divided by wire. The cockerels (12 weeks old now ) free range with my flock during the day and are separated from the pullets. My older hens will teach the cockerels manners and to respect the hierarchy of the flock which should make them better roosters.

Last edited:
I have close to 30 hens/pullets. 8 or 9 hens the rest are pullets. Four roosters(one adult, one matured a month or two ago, two are still babies). I think I might get rid of one? I don’t want to but I want to keep to the 10 to 1 ratio… we will see how it plays out with fighting. So far absolutely no fighting they’re very sweet and will feed each other even. But they’re also free range so they’re not all cooped together all the time- I think… muffin is 50/50 still unsure with her but I’m betting a pullet

The roosters are; Foghorn- Light Brahma. Biscotti- Swedish Flower. Ziggy- Naked neck. Chili; Easter egger.

I have a mix of bantams, really big and normal sized. Most my bantams are still babies though. I have one bantam adult and at least 5 bantam (hopefully) pullets

I’m thinking my naked neck is a bantam- but maybe that’s because he had health issues as a chick(I bought him while he was very lethargic and being trampled by the others)

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0683.jpeg
    IMG_0683.jpeg
    924.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0729.jpeg
    IMG_0729.jpeg