Bantam Gapeworm or something else

Eblo

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
Hi everyone- I tried to diagnose this on my own based on past threads but coming up empty.

Bantam hen started “gaping” with closing eyes and a little head shaking. I isolated her, and she isn’t improving but isn’t worsening. All I have given her is electrolytes, ACV, and grit with food. She is “squeaking” occasionally which is kind of how she sounds anyway-

I have surmised it is either gapeworm or a respiratory illness, but not sure on either. No one else in flock is sick.

1. I put a cotton swab and was able to look right down her throat and see no sign of red worm.
2. No other obvious “cold” symptoms. No runny membranes etc.

My local TSC only has ivermectin that would apply to the situation. Do I give her a little? Or do I order an antibiotic from Amazon? She is SO tiny… I don’t want to hurt her 😪 Her crop seems fine and she is eating and drinking.

Attachments

• B8CAFC19-F048-4209-AE19-F50447E9F7A6.png
    B8CAFC19-F048-4209-AE19-F50447E9F7A6.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Go ahead and get the Ivermectin. It doesn't hurt to treat for worms regardless. However. it's much more likely she has a respiratory infection than gapeworm.

Have you checked her ears? Look for crusty buildup or swelling. Look at her throat again with a strong light and look for any lesions or foreign material that may appear as unswallowed food.

What is your location and climate? How old is she? Is she currently laying? If so, when was the last egg? Any issues with egg quality?

It is most likely not Gapeworm. Gapeworm is rare— especially if you’re in an area where it’s cold. Won’t hurt to treat for it though so you can rule it out 100%. Other respiratory diseases that can cause similar symptoms and signs can be Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILT), Pneumonia caused by a bacterial infection or fungal infection, Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or even Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV). If she responds to antibiotics, then it’s most likely some sort of bacterial infection like MG or bacterial pneumonia.

Bantam hen started “gaping” with closing eyes and a little head shaking. I isolated her, and she isn’t improving but isn’t worsening. All I have given her is electrolytes, ACV, and grit with food. She is “squeaking” occasionally which is kind of how she sounds anyway-

I have surmised it is either gapeworm or a respiratory illness, but not sure on either. No one else in flock is sick.
My local TSC only has ivermectin that would apply to the situation. Do I give her a little? Or do I order an antibiotic from Amazon?
Not the same bantam you had a thread about last month, doesn't look like it(?)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sad-puffed-bantam.1501932/

Have you checked this girl for lice too?
Ivermectin will treat lice/mites and maybe roundworms. IF you feel it's gapeworm then using an effective dewormer is best. Safeguard or Valbazen would be my choices for treatment of worms. You can find these at TSC if not, you can order from them or Amazon.
Gapeworm is not that common, but treating with the dewormers will cover those as well as most worms that chickens have.

As mentioned by @azygous in POST#2 I would check inside her beak, her ears, make sure her crop is emptying.
Do make sure she's got adequate ventilation where you are housing her too.

Photos of her and her poop without the red light may be helpful.
A video of her gaping too (without the red light) - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Back
Top Bottom