Bantam hen has never laid

fd1phelps

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2019
I have a bantam hen that I bought early March of 2019. I also picked up a Rhode Island, Silver laced Wyandotte and Barred Rock. They were all purchased within a week of each other. All of the hens are laying except the bantam. I have never seen her in the nest boxes. I dont understand why she has never laid. Is it possible that she never will? She is healthy and happy. She is 1 of 9 hens I have now and pretty low in the pecking order but always gets feed along with the others. I feed a good layer food along with oyster shell available and a very rare treat of mealworms.

Do you know how old she is? She could be too old to lay.
Another thought, a lot of my bantam hens are egg-eaters. She may eat hers right after laying. The others might eat her egg too since it would be so small.

Is it possible that she’s laying behind a bush or something? If you did have an egg eater, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’d never get eggs. It’s highly unlikely that an egg eater is eating eggs only from her. How old is she? Do they free range? Could you start giving a little more feed to make sure she gets enough too?

Is it possible that she’s laying behind a bush or something? If you did have an egg eater, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you’d never get eggs. It’s highly unlikely that an egg eater is eating eggs only from her. How old is she? Do they free range? Could you start giving a little more feed to make sure she gets enough too?
They dont free range much, if they do I am out there with them. They have food available all day. She was born in March so almost a year .

Back
Top Bottom