Bantam hen is pale and lethargic

MadAsh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
My daughter brought one of our bantam hens in this morning because she was "puffed up" with her eyes closed in the nesting box alone. Her face is very pale whereas it is normally pink. She is just sleeping. I checked the poop in the coop and can't find any blood. I'm not sure what else to check. The other 6 chickens are fine. I looked at her bum to see if maybe there was an egg stuck,but don't see anything (although I'm not sure what I would be looking for.) I went ahead and mixed Sulmet into their water. I brought Skittles into the house and fed her 4 ccs of the Sulmet water via syringe. What else can I check or do? Thanks so much. I did fix her some oatmeal mixed with warm water (which is her favorite) and she would eat a little of it if I petted her to wake her up then just goes back to sleep. That is the oatmeal on her beak.

I'm so sorry! The same thing happened to us; we had six other hens and found Lupine flopped across the floor. She was breathing, her eyes closed, so we kept her in a box in the living room. Make sure you keep Skittles hydrated and comfy, try to get her to eat some food, etc. Mixing pellets with water can help get it down. And my hens love mushy food. I'm sorry I can't give you more advice. I'm no expert, but it's what I did. Keep me updated, I'd love to know. Good luck :)

Also- Lupine was pooping out a foul-smelling liquid, I think she might have had an egg break inside of her. If this is the case, just try to get to eat and hopefully she can pass the egg!

You could add some Nutri-drench to her water or I believe you can administer it with a dropper directly. So sorry, hope she bounces back soon. Do you have a local vet?

Back
Top Bottom