Bantam Hen lost but found 5 days later sitting on clutch of eggs!

Tscott91108

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Help! I have a bantam hen that went missing ( or so I thought) for about 5 days. I was getting ready to assume she was scooped up by a hawk :hit Then the other day she emerged from behind our garden shed. Astonished and relieved I watched her to see if she would return to her hiding spot. She did and to my surprise she was sitting on a clutch of 15 eggs :eek: I have no clue how to incubate or hatch. I was going to let Mother Nature do her thing, but at the same time I want to be prepared. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :D

Help! I have a bantam hen that went missing ( or so I thought) for about 5 days. I was getting ready to assume she was scooped up by a hawk :hit Then the other day she emerged from behind our garden shed. Astonished and relieved I watched her to see if she would return to her hiding spot. She did and to my surprise she was sitting on a clutch of 15 eggs :eek: I have no clue how to incubate or hatch. I was going to let Mother Nature do her thing, but at the same time I want to be prepared. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :D
The little brat...
If you can, secure the area she is in so she will not be at risk of predation.
Is she under the shed or just behind it?
If you move her and the nest, she may break.
If she's behind the, you can place a large dog crate over her and cover it with hardware cloth and even make a predator apron around the perimeter and pin it down with landscape pins then hide the whole works again.
If you can't secure her where she is, you'll have to try moving the entire nest and her into a secure area, inside a large dog crate or somewhere in the coop if you have a place. If she doesn't break after the move, you'll have to manage her broody breaks for her as she won't be able to get out. Put food and water in the area as far from the nest as possible and remove it every night.
I would candle all the eggs tonight and remove the bad ones.
Good luck.

The little brat...
If you can, secure the area she is in so she will not be at risk of predation.
Is she under the shed or just behind it?
If you move her and the nest, she may break.
If she's behind the, you can place a large dog crate over her and cover it with hardware cloth and even make a predator apron around the perimeter and pin it down with landscape pins then hide the whole works again.
If you can't secure her where she is, you'll have to try moving the entire nest and her into a secure area, inside a large dog crate or somewhere in the coop if you have a place. If she doesn't break after the move, you'll have to manage her broody breaks for her as she won't be able to get out. Put food and water in the area as far from the nest as possible and remove it every night.
I would candle all the eggs tonight and remove the bad ones.
Good luck.
Thank you!! She is secure and I have been keeping water close by. The feed stays in the same spot and she comes out every so often eats and then scurries on back to her nest.

💛Update!! 6 chicks have hatched this morning! :love My heart is full💛

Back
Top Bottom