Bantam hen still lonely?

ChickensRsmart

Songster
Aug 25, 2021
I just acquired a bantam hen - she lost her bantam rooster. I put her in an adjacent run next to my 2 chickens...I have a Golden Sex Links hen and a bantam rooster together. This new hen can walk right up to these 2 other chickens - and they can socialize through the poultry netting - which they do.
I am reluctant to put her in with them because she's so little any my sex links hen is so big...they want to squabble and the size difference is so great, that I don't want my new bantam hen killed or gravely wounded.
I am wondering if this will be enough however, to keep this bantam hen from being lonely? We all know chickens are extremely social. Do I need to get another bantam hen for her? She also screams out now and then (I don't think it's gape worm)...and she would occasionally scream out even when she still had her rooster...and not while sitting on the nest - so I don't think it's broodiness...

The main thing is, yes, it's enough to just be in proximity to other chickens to fulfill the need for other chickens to achieve well being. Getting her a bantam pal would increase the fulfillment after, of course, establishing rank.

Some small chickens can more than handle their own with larger breeds. You could try her in with the others when you think they've become acquainted enough and see what happens, after of course, the rank settling that always accompanies introduction. Be ready to intervene if it looks like things are getting too rough.

The screaming is a show of, well, something. It's often similar to why a rooster crows. Some hens just love the sound of their own voice, and they can actually get a sort of crow going. You'll know it's this when you hear a long drawn out note at the end.

Other reasons for screaming is, as you mentioned, being broody or needing to lay an egg.

I have a Cochin Bantam hen who seems to scream for no apparent reason -- I think @azygous is right about some liking the sound of their own voice.

Bantam hens can be quite fearless; mine run loose during the day with full-sized chickens, ducks and geese. Sally, the loud girl, is also feisty and will run off bigger girls and the CB rooster.

I would give them a little more time to get used to each other and allow some supervised visits to see how things progress. Good luck with integration!

I don't have bantams, but I do have two tiny but very feisty Buttercup hens who are completely fearless in my flock of seventeen other hens. The only real issue I've had concerning the safety of these two feather-weights is rooster mating. They were getting flattened by my standard roos and mating damage was the least of my worries. I was concerned about internal injuries due to the vast weight differential, and I very quickly decided not to permit the two to be exposed to the roosters.

Im sorry her BF is gone. Id either start letting her into the main group and watching how it goes when ever u got time to try it. then maybe make a determination on weather u need to keep her on her own. I still aint integrated my younger birds (flock2) into the slightly older crew yet and they sleep in the same coop, but i think the fact that they have their own pecking order and are so much smaller has just made them avoid flock 1, so they havent quiet melded into group 1. Maybe since u only have the 1 bantam it'll actually get into your other crew?

The main thing is, yes, it's enough to just be in proximity to other chickens to fulfill the need for other chickens to achieve well being. Getting her a bantam pal would increase the fulfillment after, of course, establishing rank.

Some small chickens can more than handle their own with larger breeds. You could try her in with the others when you think they've become acquainted enough and see what happens, after of course, the rank settling that always accompanies introduction. Be ready to intervene if it looks like things are getting too rough.

The screaming is a show of, well, something. It's often similar to why a rooster crows. Some hens just love the sound of their own voice, and they can actually get a sort of crow going. You'll know it's this when you hear a long drawn out note at the end.

Other reasons for screaming is, as you mentioned, being broody or needing to lay an egg.
Thanks azygous!

I was hoping that maybe after they all see each other - through the poultry netting - that maybe I could put them together - watching and intervening if needed...I'll just give them all more time. She's seems happy for now - as far as I can tell.

Her screaming is hard to describe - It would be easier if I could catch it on video...I will try. It is a single, slightly drawn out call that kind of sounds like? - AaaaaaaaaaaaAgggggg! But no open beak breathing or neck stretching...and she only does it now and then - I think even days go by and she doesn't do it - although I can't be sure because I am not always there or within earshot...

Im sorry her BF is gone. Id either start letting her into the main group and watching how it goes when ever u got time to try it. then maybe make a determination on weather u need to keep her on her own. I still aint integrated my younger birds (flock2) into the slightly older crew yet and they sleep in the same coop, but i think the fact that they have their own pecking order and are so much smaller has just made them avoid flock 1, so they havent quiet melded into group 1. Maybe since u only have the 1 bantam it'll actually get into your other crew?
Thanks Dakota.

I will give it a try - while standing there with her. My Sex Links hen is the jealous type. lol The rooster I have in with my sex links hen is about 1/3rd the weight of the hen - he's a bantam too. But he's a tuff little man and he keeps his much larger hen in order...she lets him be in charge. lol

I have a Cochin Bantam hen who seems to scream for no apparent reason -- I think @azygous is right about some liking the sound of their own voice.

Bantam hens can be quite fearless; mine run loose during the day with full-sized chickens, ducks and geese. Sally, the loud girl, is also feisty and will run off bigger girls and the CB rooster.

I would give them a little more time to get used to each other and allow some supervised visits to see how things progress. Good luck with integration!
Thanks CG.

This little bantam hen does not shy away from the sex links hen (through the wire)...she rears up and kicks out her feet at the bigger hen...I don't want them to fight obviously, but I will try supervised visits. lol

I thought my bantam rooster was bad! He mounts his sex links hen and roughs her up pretty good - I tell him to go easy as he is damaging her feathers on her wings and pulling them out on the back of her head - she let's him do it. LOL. When they first met though, he tried to rough her up and she knocked back and he rolled a few times on the ground...but like a machine, he jumped right back on her. CRAZY BIG ROOSTER in a little body.
I don't have bantams, but I do have two tiny but very feisty Buttercup hens who are completely fearless in my flock of seventeen other hens. The only real issue I've had concerning the safety of these two feather-weights is rooster mating. They were getting flattened by my standard roos and mating damage was the least of my worries. I was concerned about internal injuries due to the vast weight differential, and I very quickly decided not to permit the two to be exposed to the roosters.

I thought my bantam rooster was bad! He mounts his sex links hen and roughs her up pretty good - I tell him to go easy as he is damaging her feathers on her wings and pulling them out on the back of her head - she let's him do it. LOL. When they first met though, he tried to rough her up and she knocked back and he rolled a few times on the ground...but like a machine, he jumped right back on her. CRAZY BIG ROOSTER in a little body.
yeah my silkie aint got tact either. jus jumps on em wihtout buying em dinner first. He doesnt even tid bit for them. But the hens arent letting him stay on yet. they are only like 4 months old now.

Back
Top Bottom