Bantam hen with bloody discharge coming from vent?

Update: I'm so happy to be able to report some good news today! It was a welcome surprise when I pulled Lacey out of her crate for a soak, to find that her prolapse was gone. She took care of it and tucked it back in all by herself! I couldn't stop telling her how proud I was. ☺️ Good job girlie. She also fought me quite bit getting out of the crate, and was squirmy while carrying her to the soak. She definitely has more pep in her step, and is feeling better.
I soaked her anyway to get some of the crusty bits of her feathers, but everything looks great back there. I didn't find any egg material which is a concern still, so I dosed with calcium citrate again, and her herbal antibiotic for safety. Hopefully she'll start passing things soon now that her prolapse is back in.

Update: I'm so happy to be able to report some good news today! It was a welcome surprise when I pulled Lacey out of her crate for a soak, to find that her prolapse was gone. She took care of it and tucked it back in all by herself! I couldn't stop telling her how proud I was. ☺️ Good job girlie. She also fought me quite bit getting out of the crate, and was squirmy while carrying her to the soak. She definitely has more pep in her step, and is feeling better.
I soaked her anyway to get some of the crusty bits of her feathers, but everything looks great back there. I didn't find any egg material which is a concern still, so I dosed with calcium citrate again, and her herbal antibiotic for safety. Hopefully she'll start passing things soon now that her prolapse is back in.
This is a wonderful update!

I'd keep up with the Calcium and your herbal treatments for several more days. The Calcium helps with retention and your herbs may help stave off infection. The picked tissue still has some healing to do, but all sounds like it's going very well!
Keep it up Girl! You're doing good:)

This is a wonderful update!

I'd keep up with the Calcium and your herbal treatments for several more days. The Calcium helps with retention and your herbs may help stave off infection. The picked tissue still has some healing to do, but all sounds like it's going very well!
Keep it up Girl! You're doing good:)
I’m so happy she’s moving in the right direction, super glad that I css as n have a win on this one. ☺️
Will do! With her new spunk I’m sure she’ll make it quite difficult on me, but I’m certainly okay with that. :D
Thank you! I really appreciate everyone’s help, I needed this guidance.

Update: We're acting like a chicken again! I ended up putting a thin layer of straw down in her crate instead of the towel since that was a mess. The straw is keeping her occupied as well, so thats good. Still no egg material today, though she's acting perfectly normal. Tails up, no straining, but no egg. I'll give her calcium again today along with the herbal antibiotic, and continue that until I see her passing egg material. Hopefully that doesn't take to long, she's done with her crate. ;)
The food and water is in a container that clips to the crate door to keep her from scratching stuff in it. Works good, but now she's decided it makes a good perch too. :rolleyes: Silly girl. She does have a perch in there, but I guess I need to add a higher one.

Victory!! After two plus weeks of prolapse treatment, stuffing things down her throat, and separation, I was pleasantly surprised by this beautiful broken shell-less egg this morning! Found this membrane in her crate with goopy bedding around it. Yes!
3AD4AF93-70DB-4F8B-AD76-D31903D22EE9.jpeg

Good job girlie! I’m so proud of you. ☺️
I’ll keep her on calcium for a few days just encase there’s another egg.

There was some goop around the egg in the bedding. Not sure if the egg broke after she passed it, or if it is internal laying. I’m wanting to say it’s not internal laying just because of how normal she’s acting.
No, it's not internal laying if she passed the membrane and you found albumen and yolk.

The term/condition "Internal Laying" is when an egg (can be a whole hard shelled egg too) or parts of an egg have been "laid internally" by reverse peristalsis. This whole egg or parts of the egg would be found in the coelomic cavity.

Back
Top Bottom